General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lawsuit against H-D

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Biker90
Road Warrior
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Lawsuit against H-D

The lawyers completed their closing arguments today in a trial where a woman who suffered a serious brain injury in a motorcycle accident two years ago is suing Harley-Davidson and its Sacramento dealer.

Judy Wilson, 50, of Lincoln, charged in her suit that a salesman at Harley-Davidson of Sacramento negligently led her and her estranged husband to believe that the 2008 Road Glide cruiser they bought in 2008 had an anti-locking brake system when it did not.

Wilson, joined in the suit by the estranged husband, Jack Wilson, also says the manufacturer defectively designed the motorcycle by putting an icon on the tachometer that suggests it has the ABS brakes. Jack Wilson testified he applied the rear brake on the motorcycle thinking it had an ABS system when traffic backed up on him on the freeway. The brakes then locked up and sent the bike into a slide, throwing his wife to the pavement.

Plaintiffs attorney Bill Veen of San Francisco did not specifically ask the Sacramento Superior Court jury for an amount on the damages. Veen did say his client so far sustained $2.6 million in economic damages. He then drew up a pie chart for the jury that suggested the figure accounted for approximately 10 percent of the damages she has suffered since the April 11, 2009, wreck on northbound Highway 99 near Mack Road.
Jim Rushford, a local lawyer who is representing Harley-Davidson of Sacramento, and Gary Wolensky, the Newport Beach attorney for the manufacturer, said their clients were not responsible for the wreck.

They both put the blame on Jack Wilson, the estranged husband, saying he did not properly learn how to operate the motorcycle. Rushford denied anybody at the dealership told the Wilsons the motorcycle had an anti-lock braking system. Wolensky told the jury it is common practice for manufacturers to include the ABS icon for all of its bikes even if they don't have the system because it is more costly and complicated to use different parts when they make the different bikes. He said there has never been another claim or lawsuit against Harley-Davidson or any other manufacturer about a defective design over the icon.

Judge Alan G. Perkins sent the jury out around 2:30 p.m. today to begin deliberations in the trial that has been going on since early November.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/15/4125909/sacramento-jury-to-decide-suit.html#ixzz1gq9GTtqc

Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2.9 MILLION? How does he figure he's worthe that much?

Some dude does not now how to ride, crashes, and has to blame anyone since it couldn't be his fault.....

Funny, if I apply the brake and the tire locks up, I release the brake. I also use both brakes and dont stomp on the rear peddle to stop...

Seems to me someone doesnt know how to ride...." I have brakes that will stop for me, I dont have to think at all". Give me a break.

And did I read this correct to figure this was on DRY pavement? oops.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:49 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as I can see, a driver that can't ride, and a passenger with improper head gear, and Harley's liable how?

Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Curious how many on the jury ride????

Old 12-17-2011, 07:19 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet none, and they have a brothers buddys uncle they herd about who crashed and died or is crippled because some one made him ride.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!!

Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

I don't like ABS.

However, I did not know that HD put ABS icons on models not equiped with 'em.

Don't think that is good business practice. If it is a decal, I would think it would be more cost efficient not to put them on EVERY sled.

Perhaps the dude felt the wheel lock but presumed the ABS would kick in, but it was too late before he realized it wasn't.

Just sayin', I would have released it, but maybe he was relying on it.

Interesting!

Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Three things - learn what your bike has, equipment-wise; learn more than the minimum, riding skill-wise; and admit when you screw up!

That said, stupid to have the ABS symbol present when no ABS installed. I think that will bit 'em before this is all said & done.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:30 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2.6 million is only 10% of her damage/injuries? How does anyone have $26 million of damages from a bike wreck?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 PM
rick2800
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREED and ambulance chaser lawyers it would be different if you drive off the lot and the bars come off or wheel falls off.

Quick Reply: Lawsuit against H-D