General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 AM
blackchipjim
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building your bike?

I read alot about owners that work, maintain or modify thier rides and the forum is loaded about it. My big question is how many of the members of these forums have ventured into building their own bike. I would guess alot of people don't have the technical expertise to put one together but to those of you do what did you build?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Built this in 03. Midwest frame, Ultima 96" motor, POS revtech trans. front end, calipers and a lot of other stuff are swap meet finds.

Building your bike?-goldchop.jpg

Old 12-20-2011, 03:14 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Built this one in 04. Kraft tech softail frame, Ultima 113" motor, 6-speed Ultima trans, Chrome Horse wheels.

Building your bike?-chops002.jpg

Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some how posted twice sorry about that trying to delete one hope this works

Last edited by JB; 12-20-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member

Had to do some work on my 87 when I got it, top pic is what it looked like after the last guy rode it before I got it the pic below it is after I finished it. Its amazing what some chrome polish and a good wax job will do for a bikes looks.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:34 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by JB
Had to do some work on my 87 when I got it, top pic is what it looked like after the last guy rode it before I got it the pic below it is after I finished it. Its amazing what some chrome polish and a good wax job will do for a bikes looks.

Holy crap! I need to know what kind of polish and wax you used and try it on mine!

ps. I guess you ran out when you got to the front fender?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, can be sort of a bummer when you get caught in the rain.......LOL but then again rain ain't as bad as when you come across those fresh cow pies on some back road. After riding that for awhile its amazing what it does for you're reflex's duck & weave, duck & weave.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Been building my own since the 70's done a little rice but mostly Harely's and brits . Here's a few , been more just haven't got the pictures handy if I took any to start with . All the bikes shown here are scratch built from parts or started life in boxes at a swap meet . Done a number of british choppers don't think I have a picture of any of them . Do all my own engine & tranny work including balancing & blue printing , boring only thing I send out .

This was late 70's , Santee gooseneck easy ride frame , 2 2.5gal diamond tanks split and modified to make a set of Diamond fatbobs , made all the froward controls and bitch bar and a lot of other one off stuff you couldn't buy .

Early 80's and she's had 3 major face lifts and big changes since , My sig bike . Started life as a 74" hardtail with everything scrounged from buddies piles or swap meets . Was a real budget piece work but gave me a well over 100,000 like that . Ditched the hardtail and dumped her into a swingarm frame , poked the motor out to 88" and got another 200,000+ out her in that form .

Built the red & black one and had a 82FXR so I went a little off redoing the old girl , poor mans rear belt conversion ( Don't need no stinking kits ) , 3rd bebuild on the 88" going dual plugs and a long list of other trick stuff . Still looks like that today only with a 93" HiPo motor now , kicking around another facelift just don't know what I want do this time

Did this one early 90's some time just for kicks ,

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-20-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member

Sweet look'n rides and damm straight about swap meet parts and its the same here don't know for sure why didn't take pic's back then, think it might of been to busy building'em and ride'n to think much about pic's

Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I have not "built" one in many years but there's not too much left original on my Dyna, save the frame and drive train. I built this 1961 Panhead with a Shovel top end from the ground up. Cut and welded the neck with an ARC welder even. There probably aren't two parts from the same bike on this motorcycle except the frame and cases.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 12-20-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Building your bike?