General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gypsy Biker Bed Rolls

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know guys...I have been researching tents for a few months and I am not seeing any I like better than the Catoma Lone Rider: http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog...fo.aspx?id=170
Check out the video on the "videos" tab. This thing sets up in 30 seconds, has an integral rain fly and poles, and you can leave the ground cloth attached if you want. Gets great reviews too. The ease of setup/takedown is big for me as I do not want to be fumbling around in the dark trying to setup a tent after a long day of riding.

Anybody use this tent? How do you like it?

And to the OP - I went on the gypsy bed roll site to check it out and couldn't really find much information or even photos - not good, I would stay away.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 AM
Vins
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have an older Eureka two man tent. Packs fairly well and light. I recommend a two man tent and bag depending the areas and seasons you are camping in. Two man if you want to get your gear inside. If you're doing summer camping in the southern part of the country, a bed roll might work for you. A heavy downpour is still gonna' ruin your night. Have thrown a sleeping bag on a picnic table at many a rest stops. You can pull the bike under the the covering if it's raining and everything stays dry. Have also curled up in the raingear undera building overhang and taken a nap.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 AM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally just take a military poncho, and a poncho liner. On some occasions i will use a pocket hammock too. But I can be a bit hardcore when it comes to camping.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 AM
DTDK
Road Captain

if going solo, the xpg tents pack down way smaller, and offers way more room. I have used the micro lite ultra small one man tents, and dont see any advantage over a bivy sack. if you want to keep any of your stuff inside, get at least a 2 man tent.

Packed size is always a big concern for me when campin on the bike, and 26 inches is just way to long for me, for a tent that is only that size.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 AM
DTDK
Road Captain

I do like the look of those x3 stakes on catomas page

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 AM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer

i appreciate everyones input. i decided to go with the kelty grand mesa 2 tent (http://www.kelty.com/p-495-grand-mesa-2.aspx). a buddy of mine is a backpacker and he said its a great tent for the price and it had some pretty good reviews, quick set up and tear down. can't wait to put it to use.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorebhoy
...lo-rider's rig looks pretty good and compact but you're still on the ground, hard and/or wet...
Not at all. The bivy sack is eVent w/ a waterproof bottom. The Neoair pad inside keeps you suspended on a cushion of insulating air, well off the ground, and also provides a reflective surface similar to a space blanket, which reflects body heat.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't have room for it, but always liked this one!

http://www.besportier.com/archives/n...your-bike.html

Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, you know real bikers don't have saddle bags, or so I've read on this forum. So you won't have the space to pack a tent and a sleeping bag. I suppose real bikers just have an old piece of canvas tarp they throw down in the ditch when they want to sleep.

Personally I've accepted that I'm not a real biker because I have a windshield and hard bags on my RoadGlide. But that's good, I carry a 2 man mountaineering tent, it's two piece tent and fly. Completely waterproof even in torrential downpours, it's been tested many times. I carry two air mattresses, pillows, sleeping bags that zip togther and me an my Ol are comfy as bugs in a rug, weather be damned. But that's just us, not real bikers, So the gypsy roll looks good, seriously, it's probably alright.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you will like the Kelty. It is very similar to mine.
Good luck and have fun.

Quick Reply: Gypsy Biker Bed Rolls