General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgators

Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgators

I was on the NYS Thruway today in the right lane when I glanced in my sideview mirror and noticed an Toyota MR2 coming up pretty fast behind me. I was thinking if this JA hits me and I am still able to get up, he's going to be the one that needs medical attention. Anyone have any good solutions for the cager that's right on your butt at 80 mph? I was thinking about pulling into the shoulder but those rumble grooves are pretty deep and there was lots of debris in the shoulder.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

just drag the rear brake enough to turn on the lite or just slow & slow & slow until he goes the h3ll on.keep your eye on him at all times

Old 08-24-2008, 03:28 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

Yea, I usually flash my brake light at them and then if that doesnt work, I slow down and when i mean slow down i REALLY slow down almost to a crawl, not just to **** them off but just to make them go around me, its def easier then speeding up b/c when u speed up u just have a faster tailgator :-/

Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that happen just outside of zion national park last weekend, and I flicked my copenhagen over my shoulder and sped up. He got the point.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Vest Pocket Fulla Rocks..
Ohh Ummm nooo Cough cough
Prayer yup thats it..

Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
bowtieman427
Intermediate

I have this happen out on country roads as well as the highway. Just slow down tapping the brake light a couple of times and if needed wave them by.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:43 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EDZ82FXR
Yea, I usually flash my brake light at them and then if that doesnt work, I slow down and when i mean slow down i REALLY slow down almost to a crawl, not just to **** them off but just to make them go around me, its def easier then speeding up b/c when u speed up u just have a faster tailgator :-/
Sounds about right. We have to keep in mind that it isn't on us to change stupid, it is on us to keep ourselves on the right side of the grass.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I'm suprised nobody mentioned 1/4 inch ball bearings being tossed up in the air to land on a windshield.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Get out of their way.

When stuff like that happens all I can do is think about what to do next time. I'll slow down to 55 in a 65 so they'll go around. Didn't work with one cager last year. Got down to 40 on an open freeway and he still wouldn't go around. It was four lanes and we were in the far right. Realized the old man wasn't going to change lanes so we did and he blew by us at about 80 and still accelerating and then got off at the next exit a couple miles up. Maybe he couldn't turn his head to change lanes, I don't know. But lesson learned, just get out of the way.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Ahh, the wonders of Copenhagen........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgators