General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Battery...how long do they last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2.75 years on the RKC's OEM battery ... on a tender. No short rides. Avg ride is 125 miles. Garaged!

Some batteries are good from the factory... some... not so good. Just like other parts... most good, some not-so-good.

I could almost tell from the git-go that the OEM battery was... not great! Took many hours to fully charge on the battery plus tender AFTER a very long ride.

Charging system and all connections are fine.

Recently replaced the battery with a Big Crank for one hundred bucks delivered and that's that!

Already I can see the new battery operating like it should.

Replacing a battery is an inexpensive and easy fix! Was glad it was not something more... serious and costly.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Climb14er
2.75 years on the RKC's OEM battery ... on a tender. No short rides. Avg ride is 125 miles. Garaged!

Some batteries are good from the factory... some... not so good. Just like other parts... most good, some not-so-good.

I could almost tell from the git-go that the OEM battery was... not great! Took many hours to fully charge on the battery plus tender AFTER a very long ride.

Charging system and all connections are fine.

Recently replaced the battery with a Big Crank for one hundred bucks delivered and that's that!

Already I can see the new battery operating like it should.

Replacing a battery is an inexpensive and easy fix! Was glad it was not something more... serious and costly.
Yep, Big Crank. IIRC, I paid $81 shipped to my door.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:22 PM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just replaced my original battery on my '07 FLHTC two days ago. I decided to go with the Big Crank from BatteryMart for $99.95 shipped to my door. I ride year around, and use a tender whenever going on vacation and not taking the bike. I hope I have as good luck with the Big Crank as I did the OEM. Only time will tell.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:11 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Yeah, me too. His post seems to indicate that he rides every day. So, unless his charging circuit is faulty on the bike, it would seem to be a complete waste to hook up the tender. Of course, if he does only short trips....... Yeah, right...
A battery tender is not just a charger. It 'tends' to the battery. If required it applies a slow charge to bring the battery up to full charge, then switches to a maintenance/float mode.

My post said it's on every night, meaning when I arrive at home I park in the garage, plug in the tender, unload my gear, exit the garage. It's just my routine. I do not necessarily ride every day.

The charging circuit is not faulty on my bike. The Arizona heat does definitely affect the lifespan of automotive batteries. At 104*F the life cycle of a battery can be reduced by up to 40%.

When i take my car in for regular service (oil/filter), the first thing they do is a battery load test.