General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phillips X-treme Power H4...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Phillips X-treme Power H4...

Just wondering if anyone had tried the Phillips X-treme Power H4 bulbs in on their bike. If so, what are your impressions?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

Haven't tried those but if don't mind spending a little change on serious light go Piaa , they are unbelievable in the difference .

Old 01-22-2012, 01:16 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Haven't tried those but if don't mind spending a little change on serious light go Piaa , they are unbelievable in the difference .
I'm with Twizted, the PIAA are the bee's knees.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM
FBFletch
Road Master

I'm researching bulbs because I'm going back to the stock headlight. I installed the Harley LED headlight and I just can't get it to aim correctly. I've adjusted the damn thing as high as it will go and it's still too low. I think it's because I have the big nacelle on my bike and other than the small amount of adjustment in the mounting ring, there's no other vertical adjustment possible.

Anyway, I'm researching as many bulbs as I can get info on and I haven't ruled anything out at this point. I've been trying to get more info on the PIAAs and there just doesn't seem to be any info on the output in lumens.

Add: I sent an email to PIAA and asked if they could provide some brightness output info in lumens as opposed to watts.

Last edited by FBFletch; 01-22-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 PM
astark
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I contacted Daniel Stern about upgrading the headlight on my 1998 Fatboy, and he sent me the following.

"The main problem you're up against is the optics in the stock headlamp.They're focused to give a pretty wide spread of light, but there's not enough seeing distance ahead. Put in a Cibie lens-reflector unit ($74.95) and an Osram 70/65w bulb ($22, maybe get a spare), aim the lamp carefully and correctly per http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html , and you'll find you're much better able to see at night."

I followed his advice, ordered through him, and could not be happier with my lighting now. The difference is truly amazing.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
FBFletch
Road Master

Originally Posted by astark
I contacted Daniel Stern about upgrading the headlight on my 1998 Fatboy, and he sent me the following.

"The main problem you're up against is the optics in the stock headlamp.They're focused to give a pretty wide spread of light, but there's not enough seeing distance ahead. Put in a Cibie lens-reflector unit ($74.95) and an Osram 70/65w bulb ($22, maybe get a spare), aim the lamp carefully and correctly per http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html , and you'll find you're much better able to see at night."

I followed his advice, ordered through him, and could not be happier with my lighting now. The difference is truly amazing.
Thanks Astark. I've already been reading through Daniel's technical stuff. It's a very interesting read. And, the Osram 70/65W bulb was on my short list. One of the reasons I was considering the Philips X-treme Power H4 is that is uses less power than the Osram 70/65W (67/60) and has a higher lumen output.

I was also considering a lens/reflector change but hadn't found any info on a good replacement. Thanks for the info on the Cibie.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by FBFletch
I'm researching bulbs because I'm going back to the stock headlight. I installed the Harley LED headlight and I just can't get it to aim correctly. I've adjusted the damn thing as high as it will go and it's still too low. I think it's because I have the big nacelle on my bike and other than the small amount of adjustment in the mounting ring, there's no other vertical adjustment possible.

Anyway, I'm researching as many bulbs as I can get info on and I haven't ruled anything out at this point. I've been trying to get more info on the PIAAs and there just doesn't seem to be any info on the output in lumens.

Add: I sent an email to PIAA and asked if they could provide some brightness output info in lumens as opposed to watts.
The lumens thing is very deceptive when it comes to headlights almost like florescence lights , higher numbers don't mean you get what you want . Just like my garage , it's a 1 1/2 car all semi gloss white walls with 8 4ft dual bulb fixtures with 6500 lum bulbs and I still use halogen spots cause the light isn't right .

PIAA's numbers look like everyone else's but the actual you can see light thrown out is almost twice that of comparable rated bulbs at the same amp draw . I have a set of the PIAA X1100 driving lights about the size of goose eggs that are unbelievable in the light they throw out , you have see it to understand they out shine 2 4 1/2" cans with 55/100 h4's in them by a factor of 2 or 3 easy .

Old 01-22-2012, 04:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I got the PIAA bulb for my Tbird with a new reflector/bezel and it is easily 2x as bright as stock. On high beam I can see far enough to ride 50-60 mph on a dark rural road and not be over driving my headlight.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:54 PM
FBFletch
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
The lumens thing is very deceptive when it comes to headlights almost like florescence lights , higher numbers don't mean you get what you want . Just like my garage , it's a 1 1/2 car all semi gloss white walls with 8 4ft dual bulb fixtures with 6500 lum bulbs and I still use halogen spots cause the light isn't right .

PIAA's numbers look like everyone else's but the actual you can see light thrown out is almost twice that of comparable rated bulbs at the same amp draw . I have a set of the PIAA X1100 driving lights about the size of goose eggs that are unbelievable in the light they throw out , you have see it to understand they out shine 2 4 1/2" cans with 55/100 h4's in them by a factor of 2 or 3 easy .
You have PIAA driving lights on the Shovel?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by FBFletch
You have PIAA driving lights on the Shovel?

I can't say enough good about those little monsters , looks like the landing lights on 767 coming at you on open highway .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 01-22-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Phillips X-treme Power H4...