Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Default Ape Hanger Kits. Who Sells Them?

Hey guys,

Who have you found that sells complete ape hanger kits (other than HCC). I'm looking to get a complete Wild 1 Psycho 18" setup, and haven't really been able to find anyone that sells the wired "kit", other than Hill Country Custom.

Their kits are reasonably priced, but after a little research, I don't plan on doing any business with them. I've found a lot of negative posts by people who weren't satisfied by their products or service (and quite a lot of negative feedback on their ebay account). I also ride with some folks that have bought kits from them, and aren't too impressed (one got their brand of bars, and the chrome finish was junk, and another got a wild one kit from them, and the chrome on the switch housing and oil box is already flaking off).

I would think there would be other companies or shops out there doing this same thing, but I can't really find any!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Road Master

check e-bay
Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Senior Rider

Other than HCC or Custom Cycle Controls (that only sell their bars), I haven't seen any complete systems. Good luck.

FWIW, had a buddy do his own a couple months ago, and other than the time involved, it wasn't a huge PITA. If you don't feel like doing it yourself, your local indy will probably give you a fair price as well.

2007 FLSTSC
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingur View Post

FWIW, had a buddy do his own a couple months ago, and other than the time involved, it wasn't a huge PITA. If you don't feel like doing it yourself, your local indy will probably give you a fair price as well.
I agree. I bought the bars, cables, and wiring extensions and did the install myself. If you have the time and a service manual it's really not that hard, maybe a little tedious soldering wires and running them through the bars. A couple 6-packs of beer and a few cuss words later I had it done and still have the dollars in my pocket I would have spent paying someone else to do it, and I got to know the workings of my bike a little better.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Elite HDF Member

Yea, they are right, do it yourself, that way you know it is done right, or not...hahah

Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Got mine from HCC. Installed them myself. No problems at all. LOVE my 18's!

BADASS DURCELL FATTY W/SE STAGE 1 A/C, TMAX, WOOD 555 CAMS, SHOTGUN SHOCK, 18" APES, EXTENDED FENDER, ETC, ETC...
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajunkruzer View Post
I agree. I bought the bars, cables, and wiring extensions and did the install myself. If you have the time and a service manual it's really not that hard, maybe a little tedious soldering wires and running them through the bars. A couple 6-packs of beer and a few cuss words later I had it done and still have the dollars in my pocket I would have spent paying someone else to do it, and I got to know the workings of my bike a little better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
Yea, they are right, do it yourself, that way you know it is done right, or not...hahah
Kind of what I was thinking. Just thought it might be nice to get it complete, thought. Save me the time of running wires, and mounting hardware. I could just bolt on, hook up electrical and lines, and go!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown View Post
Got mine from HCC. Installed them myself. No problems at all. LOVE my 18's!
Did you go with the HCC brand bars, or have them build em' on another brand (like wild 1)?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-ing Hostile View Post
Did you go with the HCC brand bars, or have them build em' on another brand (like wild 1)?
Nope, their brand. No complaints. Only thing was that the throttle end of the bar had broken thru the box and was kinda sticking out by the time it reached my door in Japan, but there was no damage. The chrome is holding up great, seem to be made of a very heavy gauge steel and quite a bit heavier than my stock bars. No parts were excluded, all were the right size and the cables are all good Motion Pro brand cables.

BADASS DURCELL FATTY W/SE STAGE 1 A/C, TMAX, WOOD 555 CAMS, SHOTGUN SHOCK, 18" APES, EXTENDED FENDER, ETC, ETC...
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

You could try asking Burly to pre wire a set for you. I am sure they would for a nominal fee. They can hook you up with all your cables as well.

Burlybrand.com

Everyone I meet has 1 opportunity to prove themselves an idiot, sadly most take that opportunity and run with it......

2010 FXDC
Weapons of choice: '92 Les Paul, '78 Music Man Sabre II, '05 American Deluxe Tele.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 AM

P