General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Gear question

Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Gear question

So for years I have just ridden in leathers while touring. Ridden in plenty of rain and hail, but never in any torrential, can't see the road downpours. Rain gear has never been a real consideration for me. Planning a 2-week trip to Yellowstone and Glacier, so I am curious about whether or not I should buy some. For those of you who wear rain gear, do you wear your gear over your leathers or do you wear a lighter garment underneath with the rain gear on top? Seems awfully bulky to me, but I'd like to hear opinions. If you favor a particular brand I'd like to hear that as well,but don't feel compelled.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I got some rain gear for christmas. I think you'd be okay either way. I got tourmaster stuff and it's not really bulky at all.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:59 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried a few brands and I personally like harleys brand the best. Good stuff IMO.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always taken rain gear with me on trips .. riding in the rain very long even in warm weather ,your risking hypethermia and that can lead to a crash .

I currently use a light weight breathable FrogTogg Rain Suit . Frog Togg makes all kinds of rain suits make sure its one of theres made for motorcycle riding .

They came with iron on heat sheilds for the legs if you wanted to use them .. i chose instead to make my own . i bought an old black leather coat for $5 at a thrift store. i cut two large patchs ,treated with snowSeal leather water proof and sewed them to the inside of the legs.

When its raining i usually I wear this suit over my leathers .

Another advantage is in the mountains like YellowStone temps can suddenly drop.
so the rain suit can help keep you warm.

I was in yellostone in july when temps dropped down to 32f one night.

i paid about $60 for my rain suit on sale from Sportmans Guide
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/....aspx?a=516603
frogg toggs® Road Toad Suit

• Waterproof and breathable frogg toggs non-woven, completely seam-sealed polypropylene fabric
  • Frog Eyzz® reflective piping for better visibility at night
  • "Action-cut" raglan sleeves for high-mobility, full-body cut fits comfortably over insulated clothing
  • Seamless shoulders and other stress points for strength
  • Tuck-away hood
  • Snug wrist and waist bands keep out wind and rain
  • Front zipper, nickel-plated spring-snap storm flap
  • Pass-through pockets on pants
  • Zippered leg openings go on easy over boots or shoes.
  • Machine wash / drip dry. Imported.

Attached Thumbnails Rain Gear question-155265_ts.jpg  

Last edited by baust55; 02-11-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Trainlights
Tourer

I bought mine for over the leathers. I figured, higher risk in the rain anyway, there was no way I was going to swap out leathers for lighter padding for the rain suit while upping the risk in riding anyway. I've never laid one down in the rain, so it could be argued that it was pointless, but I'd rather be safe than the alternative.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Yeah, it seems to me that wearing rain gear over your leathers is the thing to do. Just wasn't sure, cause I n have never chosen to buy it.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Froggtoggs entry level suit is called DriDucks. Runs about $45 and is breathable and 100% waterproof. I found mine at Cabella's.
I don't think there is a better suit in that price few range.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by baust55

...<snip>I currently use a light weight breathable FrogTogg Rain Suit . Frog Togg makes all kinds of rain suits make sure its one of theres made for motorcycle riding .

They came with iron on heat sheilds for the legs if you wanted to use them .. i chose instead to make my own . i bought an old black leather coat for $5 at a thrift store. i cut two large patchs ,treated with snowSeal leather water proof and sewed them to the inside of the legs....<snip>
I like Frog Togg too and used an ironing board material on the inside right leg as a heat shield. It wasn't sewn on but I used an adhesive. I also sprayed it with water repellent.

Last edited by baka1969; 02-11-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:51 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

We were in Yellowstone a couple of years ago. It snowed on us in the passes on the way t the park. While we were there it rained and hailed. Do not get me wrong, it was an awesome trip, but having propper gear will allow you to enjoy it all the more.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

Originally Posted by baka1969
I like Frog Togg too and used an ironing board material on the inside right leg as a heat shield. It wasn't sewn on but I used an adhesive. I also sprayed it with water repellent.
Great idea! Do you just buy an ironing board cover?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rain Gear question