General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sidecar

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 AM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sidecar

Anyone ever rode with a sidecar I would like to get one eventually but I am sure it turns the bike into a whole different beast? It is still far away before I get one and my girl rides on the back but I still think it would be good to get one for long trips anyway, let me know.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

Been kicking the idea around on this subject too. Be interesting what others say about it.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 AM
pavin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought a 2001 ROAD KING with a sidecar for my wife this last spring and have since put over 6000 miles on it. Best thing I ever did getting her off my back! You are right they are a different animal but my wife seams to handle it very well and she is only 5'5" . I am in the process of installing some raked trees on it right now which will improve handling.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

My father-inlaw had side cars for many years.Raced them at Bonniville and him and his wife use to do a lot of touring on them.He also use to ride with Doug Bingham.

The last rig he had was an '05 Road King Classic with an HD car.He bought after market raked trees to make it steer easier.
Your fuel mileage and power will suffer.

I would check out sidecar rallys to get more info.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Amish gone bad
Tourer

I used to swap front ends and add a car every winter (didn't get a car license until I was 21). They drive rather than ride and take some getting used to but they were/are a far better option than the old Servicycles. At first keep a hundred pounds or so of weight in the car as you are getting used to it and find a big empty lot where you can get used to
a) making the car lift
b) dealing with it when it does lift

One suggestion I also make to people considering the change is ride for a while in just 1/3 of your lane -- the left third. Because that is what you are going to need to do once you bolt the hack on. New sidehackers often get into problems making the usual dodge we all do for potholes and dropping their car off the shoulder: not a good thing on a twisty road with barriers and stuff.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
lurking luddite
6th Gear

Yep had lots of them, rode a brand new 1990 FLHTP coast to coast. [won't do that again.] Gas mileage and rear tire life go south. Lots of fun on gravel roads with lots of throttle. For me I will not have one on my everyday bike, but on a spare or backup bike they are OK.
Parking lot practice and watch out for the fender on the hack going past parked cars and you are good to go.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 AM
a10182
Road Captain

ya thats what I was wondering if it was light enough to lift off of the ground or whether it stayed on the ground during some of the tight turns, I cant imagine if it lifts off the ground it would be easy to try and get it back down or if the bike will fall over

Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sidecars are a ball! As stated, they are best as a second bike. I've had mine for fourteen years now and probably will keep it forever. I got it as the family truckster when the boy was one. We strapped the car seat in it and went for rides.
Also as stated, tire wear, fuel mileage and maintenance are accelerated. Handling is, different. Lefts, charge into the corner then roll off the throttle and front brake as needed, hack momentum will push you left. Rights, you need to remember to SLOW before the corner so that you can roll on the throttle and the hacks drag will pull you right. If the hack lifts on the right and every fiber of you being says OH $HIT I have to slow down, remember the lefts? Yeah slowing pushes you left into oncoming traffic. When the hack lifts you need to stay on the throttle lean right and apply the front brake a little. It sounds like a lot but they're fun, people love to see them, every time you stop you get into a conversation and best of all, they are seen in traffic. I don't get cut off on the side car rig like I do the bike. Plus, you can take a motorcycle places with the fam that you'd normally have to take a car.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM
jmunsey
5th Gear

Sidecars are funny...you either love them or hate them with very little in between. I love mine. My wife and I both have solo bikes. I have a softail and she has a Honda VTX 1300. Since I built this last sidecar rig we spend more time on it than either solo bikes. Just got back from riding it to Daytona Bike Week on 3/18/12. The handling difference between a solo bike and a sidecar rig is similar to going from a sports car to a dump truck. You no longer ride it, you drive it.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of adding a sidecar on my Ultra Classic when I got older instead of getting a trike.

Quick Reply: sidecar