General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puerto Rico Harley Rental?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Puerto Rico Harley Rental?

Looking to rent a Harley for a day in Puerto Rico. Going for 10 days at the end of this month. We did this in Aruba a couple of years ago and had a great time.
Seached the internet, there doesn't seem to be anybody that rents on the island?
Anyone got any info or ideas?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Puerto Rico Harley

This is the only thing that turned up:

http://www.motorsport-inc.com/

Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dyna rider
This is the only thing that turned up:

http://www.motorsport-inc.com/
I also found that site when I was searching, but I don't think they rent, no info on the site anyway. I may contact them to see if they do.
Thanks for the help though......

Anyone else have any info? Maybe a native of Puerto Rico will chime in???

Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

I think I found my answer.
Puerto Rico laws are so harsh, no one wants to take on the liability of rentals:

Where can you find the strictest government regulations on motorcyclists in the United States? Not in any of the 50 states, but in the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico.

A measure recently signed into law by the governor of Puerto Rico will require riders to wear not only a helmet, but also gloves, boots, and long pants. After dark, riders must wear a reflective vest, and the law also tightens age restrictions on riders and imposes new testing requirements. In some ways, the law is even more restrictive than the requirements on many U.S. military bases.

Legislative sponsors said the law was a response to increasing numbers of motorcycle fatalities on the Caribbean island.

The new requirements include:

•Puerto Rico already required helmet use, but the new law also requires gloves, boots that cover the ankles, and long pants. Between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., riders and passengers must wear a reflective vest.

The law essentially moves Puerto Rico from having less stringent regulations than most states to having more restrictive requirements than any of the 50 states. Previously, motorcyclists in Puerto Rico were not required to pass a riding test and get a motorcycle endorsement unless they wanted to use the island's toll highways.

© American Motorcyclist Association

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Seabee Son
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family visits Puerto Rico every year, my wife is Boriqua. A few years ago I researched a rental as well. From this dealer, and only dealer on the Island. Cost was just too great for 5 days. They may not rent any more, you can check though. Would be beautiful riding! Every year we go there, I itch to ride there. I thought once to inquire with the rental agent of the condo we rent from about any locals they may know that would give up their Harley for a week to rent! Haha. Best of luck! If you do grab a rental, be sure to take lots of pictures and visit back to the forum with them!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
cam-921
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a native but my wife and most of my friends are and I've been there. I would be surprised if you found bike rentals given the crime rate.