General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas ethanol fuel treatment

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used StarTron in my Jet Ski and it works great. When you would fall off it and the motor died you would have to pump the primer once and it would start right up,but after adding the StarTron you just hit the button and it stars right up.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 PM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am only 43. I remember when I started driving back in 1984-5, the gas said it contained 10% ethanol. They also sold leaded gas then too. I have run ethanol gas in my 2011 bike for the 5K miles it has on it. I tried a couple of tanks of no ethanol and could not tell any difference in how the machine ran or started. I think it is mostly all bunk. Stabilizer sure, but ethanol issues? Can't say it has effected any of my power equipment or vehicles.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Originally Posted by BillM
I am only 43. I remember when I started driving back in 1984-5, the gas said it contained 10% ethanol. They also sold leaded gas then too. I have run ethanol gas in my 2011 bike for the 5K miles it has on it. I tried a couple of tanks of no ethanol and could not tell any difference in how the machine ran or started. I think it is mostly all bunk. Stabilizer sure, but ethanol issues? Can't say it has effected any of my power equipment or vehicles.
It won't start or run any different with ethanol-free gas, nor will you get more power. You will, however, run cooler & get way better gas mileage. Plus it is better for the rubberized parts in your fuel system.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you what works for me. I use the marine stabil. My mower, weed wacker, tiller, Honda generator (which have gained some fame for carb/gas trouble around here), Yammie outboard and Suzuki outboard sit a lot, off season, and start and run when I want them to, no matter how much they sit. I also use it in my 2001 GMC that sits off season with the camper in it, and in my carb'd Deuce, which shamefully has had 229 miles on it in the last 22 months (Ultra gets all the seat time) runs just fine even after a lot of sitting time, every time I hit the start button. I have been at my buddies house and helped with his carb rebuilds/replacements and he uses seafoam and startron, just saying. I also use chevron gas for my equipment and low use stuff, I don't have carb trouble.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,310 Likes on 2,357 Posts

If your are running a tank of fuel per week on your scoot,you shouldn't see any problems. My gas cans for power equipment get treated ev ery time I get gas for those items, that gas tends to sit longer. If I use a stabilizer in the bikes, which I do over the winter, it's Stabil Ethanol it's yellow not red.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

There are no. Non ethanol stations where I am so I would like feedback also

Last edited by Panchorelly; 02-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, have always filled my gas tank (ethanol) in November and never started it again until March/April when riding season approaches. I have only used the red Stabil stabilizer and I can't think of a single time when I ran the bike in March/April and thought the gas was bad or the bike ran rough.

I'm not saying that it hasn't happened to anyone else, just sayin' that I haven't had an issue yet. Now that I've jinxed myself, I'll go out and treat my bike with some Techron or Seafoam or ......

Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Heaven
Hmmmm, have always filled my gas tank (ethanol) in November and never started it again until March/April when riding season approaches. I have only used the red Stabil stabilizer and I can't think of a single time when I ran the bike in March/April and thought the gas was bad or the bike ran rough.

I'm not saying that it hasn't happened to anyone else, just sayin' that I haven't had an issue yet. Now that I've jinxed myself, I'll go out and treat my bike with some Techron or Seafoam or ......
Same for me. I also use techron once a year. Why wouldn't the red stabil work?

TedMan

Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Panchorelly
There are no. Non ethanol stations where I am so I would like feedback also
There's at least one...

http://pure-gas.org/station?station_id=6842

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

This topic comes up frequently. I am not a scientist, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. But MN has been putting ethanol in our gas for years. As far as I know my '99 has had almost nothing but the blended fuel. And no problems. Lawn equipment no problems. Cars, trucks and boats no problems. Maybe our state has additive requirments different than other states. But so far I have had not problems, nor have I heard anyone else having problems.

Just an observation. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Lucas ethanol fuel treatment