Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 12-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Default The broken wings patch?

Is there a right or wrong place to wear a broken wings patch? I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer. Thanks in advance....

nogood o~`o
Old 12-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: The broken wings patch?

Here's a recent thread.....

http://www.hdforums.com/m_1020370/tm.htm
V&H True Duals and Ovals
SE hydraulic tensioner upgrade
Andrews 26 cams, SERT
PGR # 83844
Old 12-18-2006, 10:19 PM

The only real placement criteria I found is that it should not be worn above an American flag patch. Then again, NOTHING should be worn above the flag patch. I think that it should be ok most anywhere else......

nogood o~`o
Old 12-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Road Captain

The only criteria for broken wings is you have laid your bike down in an accident, if you earned them you can wear'em were ever you want. Most guys put them at the bottom of their leathers. ( dropp'n your bike in the parking lot doesn't count!
Quote:
ORIGINAL: wnogood

The only real placement criteria I found is that it should not be worn above an American flag patch. Then again, NOTHING should be worn above the flag patch. I think that it should be ok most anywhere else......

nogood o~`o
Old 12-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Road Captain

I clobbered the rear end of a buick about 20 years ago. I wear mine
up high on the back of the vest.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 AM
One Of The Regulars

1984. Rear ended a car that panic stopped on the highway. Broke my left femer in three places in the femeral neck. Anyway, I recovered and still have the same shovelhead. I wear mine on the back of my leather jacket down close to the bottom.
2007 Night Train slightly modified to 103"
2013 Ultra new one to the group
Old 12-19-2006, 04:24 AM

I haven't heard of the patch before so how does it work? One patch for each incident or is it one patch with bars or something?
Reason I ask is the wife is getting me a new vest for patches I have collected, and I "crashed" my first bike, a CB175 Honda, three times.
Once when a cop forced me into some sand and when I tapped the brake the bike went one way and I went another, at 75MPH.
Second time I laid the bike down in a turn on some oil and wound up under a Camaro. Thankfully he saw me going down and paniced, stopped and I just slid under a stopped car.
Third time I was going over to see an old GF and as I slowed for a turn to her block I tapped the front brake on some black ice. The bike went out from under me so fast I was actually surprised to find myself sitting on the ground watching the bike slide away.
Damn drum brakes on the front wheel of that Honda were out to kill me. They locked up WAY too easy.

So does that mean I qualify one, three or none because I did it to and by myself?

BTW the bike needed repairs after all three times.

U.S. Army Vietnam Vet
FOR THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR IT - FREEDOM HAS A PRICE THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW.

IF IGNORANCE IS BLISS, YOU'D THINK MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE HAPPY.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Prospect

I think you qualify......I crashed 3 times myself..all on metric bikes all on wet or icy roads...I wear my road rash broken wings on bottom back of my vest...proudly...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...vilsTower1.jpg
Old 12-19-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: d42s
I think you qualify......I crashed 3 times myself..all on metric bikes all on wet or icy roads...I wear my road rash broken wings on bottom back of my vest...proudly...
Thanks, I think.
I almost crashed my nice new 07 Custom about two weeks ago on the way home from the dealer. I went there to have the remap done and was hoping that I could get home before it started raining, But instead of raining on me and just getting wet, and the bike all dirty. It started to rain with ice crystals mixed in it that made visibility really bad and iced the roadways up. I was slowing, very carefully coming to a light where I was going to make a right turn but ended up sliding straight across the intersection in front of a line of cars that had a green turn signal. That big fat tire in the rear is really nice to look at, but it can hydroplane and slide on wet ice crystals real easy if your not careful.

U.S. Army Vietnam Vet
FOR THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR IT - FREEDOM HAS A PRICE THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW.

IF IGNORANCE IS BLISS, YOU'D THINK MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE HAPPY.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Quote:
ORIGINAL: d42s
Thanks, I think.
I almost crashed my nice new 07 Custom about two weeks ago on the way home from the dealer. I went there to have the remap done and was hoping that I could get home before it started raining, But instead of raining on me and just getting wet, and the bike all dirty. It started to rain with ice crystals mixed in it that made visibility really bad and iced the roadways up. I was slowing, very carefully coming to a light where I was going to make a right turn but ended up sliding straight across the intersection in front of a line of cars that had a green turn signal. That big fat tire in the rear is really nice to look at, but it can hydroplane and slide on wet ice crystals real easy if your not careful.
ICE=PARK IT!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:28 AM

P