General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t/j of bikers of the 70's

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default t/j of bikers of the 70's

A guy I work with is retired from a local MC, and got really upset when he heard that the *occupy movement* was using the term 1%er.

So today I was thinking about terms, such as "biker".

What does "biker" mean to you?

I've heard bicyclists refer to themselves as bikers.
Guys that ride Harleys usually call themselves bikers.
Do sport bike riders call themselves bikers?
What about rice fed harley clone riders?

Is it about the bike? or about the lifestyle of the rider?

Anyway I would be interested in seeing the thoughts of others on this.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone who would rather have their face in the wind than inside a cage is a biker to me. If you do it because it's what you love (not for any other reason). I'm still new though, so what do I know? When I first rode my bike, it was like finding the missing piece of me and can't imagine being without it now.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 PM
loafeRebel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever the term BIKER runs through my mind it doesn't cover, just, everybody on a motorcycle. It doesn't stop at patched out monsters wearing vests or toting illicit materials around the country (any country)--rEGARdless--either; I can see someone running sterile (no patches) & believe they are a BIKER. BIKER, BIKER...BIKER...aren't we talking about motor bikes even if one operates a peddle operated bike...a bicyclist?.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Ockam
Tourer

Personally I don't call myself a biker. I am one of the despised by many on this forum; a guy with a white collar job and who bought a new Harley when I could finally afford one back in 2009. I wear leathers when I ride, but have to swap out my boots for dress shoes during business hours.

I think biker is a name reserved for those who really live and breath the lifestyle. Not necessarily a 1%er belonging to an MC, but someone who wears their riding gear as typical attire, not just when they are on their bike. Someone who will never get the grease out of their nails, and their idea of a decent time starts with Bud/Miller/Coors (insert variation) in their hand.

If I make the mistake of telling people at work with that I rode in on my bike, it often leads to an awkward conversation with me explaining it is a Fat Boy and not a Schwinn. A biker doesn't have those conversations, because 1) he works or at least keeps company with other bikers and 2)no one would imagine a guy in black leathers, heavy boots, and a beard down to their navel, wearing a pirate bandana, peddling a Huffy.

Your friend may be taking the Occupy movement and their derogatory use of 1%er too seriously, in relation to his personal affiliations. Occupy did one thing right, which is highlighted the serious and growing disparity in incomes in this country...other than that Occupy is a bunch of loons, just like many of the Tea Party people.

Last edited by Ockam; 03-09-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Nor Cal Mafia
Cruiser

Biker is a lifestyle to me..Being around bikes,riding wrenching on you and your bros bikes on the weekends..Guys that actually ride more than once a month..I have a neighboor with this cvo bad *** bike he pulls out of the garage every two months then takes off for an hour comes back and back in the dungeon it goes..I dont consider him a biker as much as a weekend warrior...More of a lifestyle and the amount of time you spend on and around bikes is what would make me consider someone a biker...just my thoughts

Old 03-09-2012, 12:29 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Weren't the OWS crowd refering to themselves as the 99% and the rich folks as 1%ers? I think in their mind..rich is anyone with a real job.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtkRWC
Weren't the OWS crowd refering to themselves as the 99% and the rich folks as 1%ers? I think in their mind..rich is anyone with a real job.
We had a bunch of these OWS people out here. When this thing came up with my friend I got this image in my mind of a bunch of 1%er bikers rolling down there and beating the crap out of those entitled little punks.

Biker is a lifestyle to me..Being around bikes,riding wrenching on you and your bros bikes on the weekends..Guys that actually ride more than once a month..I have a neighboor with this cvo bad *** bike he pulls out of the garage every two months then takes off for an hour comes back and back in the dungeon it goes..I dont consider him a biker as much as a weekend warrior...More of a lifestyle and the amount of time you spend on and around bikes is what would make me consider someone a biker...just my thoughts
In my opinion, a lot of folks make the mistake of thinking that all bikers are uneducated and/or stupid. Not so, again though that's just my opinion.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Strange how people continue bitter attempts to label clubbers as some exclusive group attempting to corner the name or lifestyle of "biker" .

We don't call ourselves "bikers". We refer to each other as "patch holders" or "1%ers" or "clubbers", we just happen to ride a motorcycle.

A biker is neither derogatory nor exclusive, its any generic Joe on two wheels.

Similar to calling US citizens Americans but within that group are prideful sub cultures, yankees, rebels, southerners, country, etc. You may be American but may not be lucky enough to be a Texan.

Just showing a different perspective.

Last edited by Mi3ninos; 03-09-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tell your friend "welcome to my world".

There is so much **** going on in this country since the chimp took over 3.5 years ago that I can't stand....that I have had to concentrate on ignoring the news, and try to distance myself from all mention of politics....50% of the people in the country get some sort of gov't handout, and 50% LOVE the chimp....that I have to just try and forget about it all....as it just makes me bitter and angry.

....but that's just me.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 03-09-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Where's that "oh no not this sh*t again" picture.....

Quick Reply: t/j of bikers of the 70's