Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Road Warrior

I agree that getting my bike stolen even with my insurance would probably ruin my day.

That said.

This story takes place in 2000! That was 12 years ago! Unless I am staying at Crystal Lake camp I really don't care what happened 12 years ago.

I was at Sturgis last year for 10 days, I only used the steering lock at night. Guess what? I still have a bike! Not only that, but no one stole my sun glasses or jackets during the rally!

I have 2 giant cable locks that I quit using about 2 years ago, guess what? I still have my bike.

All I am saying is that the OP is making it sound like there is epidemic because of something that happened 12 years ago!

2011 FLTRU, because Momma wanted me to be happy, also because everyone knows black bikes are faster! Thundermax TBW with Drago's Dragula 2:1 exhaust, Tman 555 tq cams, lowered 1" with Ohlin 3-3's and Progressive Monotubes, SG Rear Fascia with BAL-1, Wild Onez 612s with chrome controls and cables, Diamond Plate Collection, rear crash bar, Madstad wind shield, J&M Rokkers with Bazooka 200.4 amp, Lenhale fan, Stebel chrome air horn and a G-Max 205-55-16 on the rear with more to come...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Prospect

when my bike was newer I'd always park next to a more enticing bike than mine,mine is to old and has to many miles to be stolen,,,,even if I park it in the right places without any security systems or locks,it still doesn't go,even with the sign that says take me no one is watching,,,,yes my payout would be more than the bike is worth,,,
Old 03-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Road Captain

Well mine will never be stolen. I have the Harley Davidson factory installed alarm system

'05 Softail FLSTN
Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Banned

All I am saying is that the OP is making it sound like there is epidemic because of something that happened 12 years ago![/quote]

I did not mean to imply an epidemic. Bikes are stolen every day and it seems large events attract thieves. There is always discussion on this forum about how to protect your bike. Alarms and Locks...

I have Insurance and usually don't lock my bike, I am not paranoid. But it did happen to me and I am sure to many others. I think with thousands of members there must be other stories.

I can guarantee bikes are being stolen in Daytona today, as they were 12 years ago.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM
One Of The Regulars

Texas still has the "castle doctrine" which makes it legal to use deadly force on someone caught stealing your stuff.
Not saying...just saying.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoFat View Post
Texas still has the "castle doctrine" which makes it legal to use deadly force on someone caught stealing your stuff.
Not saying...just saying.

and yes, my bike is worth more than your life for anyone wondering.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_mama View Post
2 words... temporary insanity
I'm starting to like the way you think

2007 Road King Classic/Custom. CVO SE 103 script heads,
SE 103 + pistons, SE 259e cams, 10.5:1 compression
Cobra speedster xtra long exhaust. Praise the lord my God
Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideglidebob View Post
sorry i read it three times don`t get it
The note is placed by the bike owner. It is supposed to have been written by a jealous husband who "messed with the bike" and therefore it wouldn't be worth it for the thief to steal a bike that "won't start".

2007 H-D Road King Classic
Secretary - Warrior Brotherhood MC, Chapter A (Houston), Texas
US Army- 4ID (Mech) - Fort Hood, Texas - 1998-2007
Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Platinum Sponsor
DKCustom dkcustomproducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajunkruzer View Post
Care to share the name of the rally with the rest of us. I see you're from Mississippi, I don't want to end up at this private rally. Was this at Sandy Hook?
Was NOT at Sandy Hook. But it could have happened anywhere I suppose.

Up until that point, myself, and most I know, never even bothered pulling the key from a Sporty or locking the ignition on a BT, let alone using the fork lock. Now, if the bike is out of my sight, I lock it.

Martins bike was stolen at the June Bug Boogie.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Senior Rider

Around here (DC area) Sport Bikes are what get stolen. It's very very rare to have a Harley stolen or any metric cruiser. The only Harleys I've heard of that were stolen were easy targets. No security system, ignition and forks unlocked. They typically steal a mini van or van, pull the rear seats out, then go on a Sport Bike stealing spree. 2-3 guys can lift one of them into the back of the van and leave the scene in under a minute.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:48 PM

P

Tags
2012, bike, bikes, davidson, daytona, harley, motocycles, motorcycles, news, rally, stole, stolen, theft, week, year