General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona, Stolen Bike Week.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:13 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nans94
My bike was stolen... Found in Jasper Texas, in the bastards yard, under a tarp, and the local law enforcement wouldn't do a damn thing to the guy that had it !! The city said it was a county matter, the county said it was a judicial matter..all they did was pass the buck. In the mean time, I had to spend 896.00 at Beaumont Harley to have it put back together so it would run cause they pulled all the wires out of the switches trying to figure out how to start it, then when that failed, they had tried to take the motor out of it.. so much for " castle doctrine"
I am sorry about your bike but the last sentence makes no sense at all. The doctrine in question is about what happens at the place the bike gets taken in your presence not what happens after it is located.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i generally dont ride to large public rally's outside of an hour away, when i ride out fo town its usually to a party at the dominent 1% club party's never had a a worry there. hell left my bike i nthe same spot with the keys in it for 3 days straight only thing happend was it got moved around to make room for other bikes. locally everyone that would steal a harley knows it would be very foolish endeavour to contemplate makign off with mine

Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior

I had my first Norton Commando stolen in NYC. It was chained to the steps cast iron railing. two chains. They cut the railing not the chains. Collected the insurance and bought a new 850 Commando which I kept in my new 1st floor apartment from then on. Now I in Jersey with an alarmed garage and still lock all my bikes up. I never let them out of my sight when they are on the road. Always have me or someone on guard duty. It's just too easy to steal a bike. They are professionals that make their living stealing bikes and cars. They scum of the world.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 AM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a bike; it's insured. Never worried about it disappearing. Pulled up at one event, layed my jacket across the bars. Rider a few bikes down said something like: leave that there someones gonna take it. It was 98 degrees. I replied if they want to wear it bad enough, it's theirs and walked away ... a few hours later I returned ... nothing missing. Can't live life worried. Just be prepared.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Nans94
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GrumpyBear
I am sorry about your bike but the last sentence makes no sense at all. The doctrine in question is about what happens at the place the bike gets taken in your presence not what happens after it is located.
All I know is.. If I'd of shot the guy for stealin my bike, I'd be the one in jail... My point is, I had the guy, dead to rights, My bike was in his yard and I had the title in my pocket to prove ownership. The law did NOTHING ! Which all that tells me is they didn't want to fool with the paper work...It's kinda a goofy law, who's gonna steal your bike with you standin there !! JMHO. Nothing personal against Texas as a whole, I've had a large time in Texas. The bike was stolen here, I found it in Texas because this idiot went to the BMV and TRIED to buy a plate. No title, No bill of sale, No nothin'. just waltzed in and asked for a plate. Texas then got the vin. ran it, then notified me. The knothead had put his Drivers license on the counter and the woman remembered his address, that's how I ended up at his door. I'm not mad at Texas, I'm pissed that the local so called authority wouldn't do anything. If it had been then Gov. Bush's bike, all hell would of broke loose and the bastard of never seen daylight again !

Last edited by Nans94; 08-12-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Bayfield Cty. Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solen bikes

If my bike gets ripped off, it gets ripped off. It's insured, I'll get another one. I take precautions but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_mama

and yes, my bike is worth more than your life for anyone wondering.
Yup, very true. In Texas, if you catch a thief stealing your stuff you have all the authority in the world to blast 'em. I think it has to be at night though. I could be wrong.

Last edited by cruzomatic; 08-12-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

To quote Clint.

Do you feel lucky Punk!

Placed on the seat.

Personally, I never get far enough away from my bike at events that I can't or don't keep eyes on it. The trick is to make sure you have a clear shot! wouldn't want to hit an innocent bystander.