General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona, Stolen Bike Week.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree that getting my bike stolen even with my insurance would probably ruin my day.

That said.

This story takes place in 2000! That was 12 years ago! Unless I am staying at Crystal Lake camp I really don't care what happened 12 years ago.

I was at Sturgis last year for 10 days, I only used the steering lock at night. Guess what? I still have a bike! Not only that, but no one stole my sun glasses or jackets during the rally!

I have 2 giant cable locks that I quit using about 2 years ago, guess what? I still have my bike.

All I am saying is that the OP is making it sound like there is epidemic because of something that happened 12 years ago!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 AM
paulpa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when my bike was newer I'd always park next to a more enticing bike than mine,mine is to old and has to many miles to be stolen,,,,even if I park it in the right places without any security systems or locks,it still doesn't go,even with the sign that says take me no one is watching,,,,yes my payout would be more than the bike is worth,,,

Old 03-14-2012, 06:25 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Well mine will never be stolen. I have the Harley Davidson factory installed alarm system

Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 AM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All I am saying is that the OP is making it sound like there is epidemic because of something that happened 12 years ago![/quote]

I did not mean to imply an epidemic. Bikes are stolen every day and it seems large events attract thieves. There is always discussion on this forum about how to protect your bike. Alarms and Locks...

I have Insurance and usually don't lock my bike, I am not paranoid. But it did happen to me and I am sure to many others. I think with thousands of members there must be other stories.

I can guarantee bikes are being stolen in Daytona today, as they were 12 years ago.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas still has the "castle doctrine" which makes it legal to use deadly force on someone caught stealing your stuff.
Not saying...just saying.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OsoFat
Texas still has the "castle doctrine" which makes it legal to use deadly force on someone caught stealing your stuff.
Not saying...just saying.

and yes, my bike is worth more than your life for anyone wondering.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_mama
2 words... temporary insanity
I'm starting to like the way you think

Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
rdb1976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
sorry i read it three times don`t get it
The note is placed by the bike owner. It is supposed to have been written by a jealous husband who "messed with the bike" and therefore it wouldn't be worth it for the thief to steal a bike that "won't start".

Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
Care to share the name of the rally with the rest of us. I see you're from Mississippi, I don't want to end up at this private rally. Was this at Sandy Hook?
Was NOT at Sandy Hook. But it could have happened anywhere I suppose.

Up until that point, myself, and most I know, never even bothered pulling the key from a Sporty or locking the ignition on a BT, let alone using the fork lock. Now, if the bike is out of my sight, I lock it.

Martins bike was stolen at the June Bug Boogie.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here (DC area) Sport Bikes are what get stolen. It's very very rare to have a Harley stolen or any metric cruiser. The only Harleys I've heard of that were stolen were easy targets. No security system, ignition and forks unlocked. They typically steal a mini van or van, pull the rear seats out, then go on a Sport Bike stealing spree. 2-3 guys can lift one of them into the back of the van and leave the scene in under a minute.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daytona, Stolen Bike Week.