General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick questions on belt tension and rear axle alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick questions on belt tension and rear axle alignment

I have just put my rear wheel back on my softail and have 2 easy questions. I am a pretty good wrench and have worked on tons of bikes (mostly Jap bikes)for many years. All motorcycles I have worked on in the past are chain drive and have markings on the swingarm for proper axle alignment. Harleys do not, obviously. My questions are 1. Do I really need the belt tension tool or is there a general tension that is acceptable? I have heard that some twist the belt to feel the tension and it is good if one cannot twist the belt more than 45 degrees with their fingers. 2. How do you get the axle aligned properly without marks on the swingarm? I hope I do not have to rely on counting threads on the adjuster bolts. I know I can count threads and/or measure...but what is the proper way? My manual simply states to make both sides the same. No procedure is described in that manual. Good thing I spend 50 bucks on that book huh? Thanks for any help.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For belt tension I adjust by the amount of deflection and for axle alignment I use a bent welding rod or hanger to measure it. There are little holes on the sides that the Harley alignment "tool" is meant to slide into.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Does'nt yours have the adjuster cams on the axle?

I just use the tension tool,no guessing.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Alignment

Use the belt twist method for belt tension...no more than 45°.
If there are holes for a rod to fit into then I use a coathanger wire to measure from the hole to the center of the axle...If no holes measure from the swing arm pivot point...Just make sure both sides are equal.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Use the belt twist method for belt tension...no more than 45°.
If there are holes for a rod to fit into then I use a coathanger wire to measure from the hole to the center of the axle...If no holes measure from the swing arm pivot point...Just make sure both sides are equal.
Where are these holes? In the swing arm? I can't believe the manual does not cover something as basic as this!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:12 AM
stlboarder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about your year, but I've seen them approximately half way down the swing arm. Don't quote me, hopefully someone with the same year or closer will comment.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I needed the Belt tension Gauge on my 2010. All sorts of ugly noise problems without using it. Most bikes you can get away without it (The so-called "Twist Test"). . . but on mine? No such luck . . . so for ~$30 I recommend it. As for the alignment tool? A coat Hanger that you straighten out will probably work just as well as the special tool IMHO.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do know that if you over tighten the belt it howls. I just measured with a ruler as far as alignment. The belt tension is kinda of tricky but go to a dealer or friends bike and deflect theirs to get a feel for it.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

The tool I made:

Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 AM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The tool I made is just a piece of 1/4" threaded rod about 2' long. bend 1"to a 90 and sharpen the end. I put this point in the center of the swing arm bolt and have a small rubber "O" ring on the other end of the rod I just roll to the center of the axle.

Quick Reply: quick questions on belt tension and rear axle alignment