General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reveiw of Sportster 72

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

this is a cool bike that reminds me of some of the bikes I longed for back in HS.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Nick
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just traded my sporty 6 months ago for a deluxe now Im looking at this...lol go figure

Old 06-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first saw the 72 in my HOG magazine I fell in love with the look of the bike.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Here's a pic of a 72 that a Customer posted on our page a few days ago.

Tank lift, coil relo, F6 ignition relo.

Looks sharp!
Man I like the looks of the '72 but NOT ANOTHER FLAT BLACK! Sorry the satin paint ruins it for me. The fat metal flake is the cat's a$$!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Druid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like this bike. It would be my 2nd bike if I wanted

Old 06-01-2012, 08:22 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I was around in 72 and i never saw a sportster that looked like this. Old panheads and shovels were dirt cheap then and that's what all the guys i knew rode. Most people i knew that rode a sportster did so because they had no money to afford anything better. That being so they did not change them much because it was all they could do to keep them running. Certainly no apehangers and 21" wheel and anyone with whitewall tires would have been run off promptly. What a normal sportster of the period would have looked like was a cut down front fender, cobra seat, sissy bar, and drag pipes. Least where i was from, maybe they did it different somewhere else. Nice looking bike though, just need to make those whitewalls go away.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't ridden one yet so.. just thoughts.. I like the 72.. especially the big blue pearl.. If I had a little extra cha ching.. this could be my "third" bike.. something for daytime runs and back and forth to work.. I'm dreaming but.. crazier things have happened..

Cheers

mav

Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Man I like the looks of the '72 but NOT ANOTHER FLAT BLACK! Sorry the satin paint ruins it for me. The fat metal flake is the cat's a$$!
they have one at classic hd

Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

I too rode one at Daytona very surprised by how great everything fit together and the red metal flake looked very good. It was early in the morning, I could have rode any of the bikes I picked the 72 because it was the one Harley I would never want to get but darn it sure is a nice ride. I'm glad I didn't know about moving the pegs back some that would have made it very interesting indeed.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Chrisabyss
Stage II

It's a pity that we don't have the 72, and as of 2 years ago discontinued with having the Nightster model here in Australia. I am looking to buy a new 1200 Sportster, but we only have the "48" and 1200 custom as possible choices. Both models are far from the 72 and Nightster in design and features. I was told by a local HD dealer that i should just buy either and and customize it to look like the 72... That is a ridiculous idea, as the cost would just blow out. I'm wondering if it would be a better idea and much cheeper to try and import a "72" still in the crate to Australia...

Quick Reply: Reveiw of Sportster 72