General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reveiw of Sportster 72

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but to me the small gas tank does not look right on the current Sportster frame. I think that tank looks better on the old frame on a bike with the old style (not round) oil and battery box covers. The best modern frame Sportsters were the former 1200 Custom and the Roadster 04-06 (carbed - pre FI).

Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking

I have thought of trading my lowrider towards one but?
I know darn well Ill have payments and that is something I do not want at this time!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
I was around in 72 and i never saw a sportster that looked like this. Old panheads and shovels were dirt cheap then and that's what all the guys i knew rode. Most people i knew that rode a sportster did so because they had no money to afford anything better. That being so they did not change them much because it was all they could do to keep them running. Certainly no apehangers and 21" wheel and anyone with whitewall tires would have been run off promptly. What a normal sportster of the period would have looked like was a cut down front fender, cobra seat, sissy bar, and drag pipes. Least where i was from, maybe they did it different somewhere else. Nice looking bike though, just need to make those whitewalls go away.
In 1975 I bought a used 1974 XLH. It had Custom paint (first thing everyone changed), King Queen seat, high pullback bars, 8" over fork tubes, bobbed front fender, and highway pegs. I put stock length tubes back on, painted it black with flames, put on a Bates solo and p pad, bobbed the rear fender, and went back to stock bars. The 21" front wheel was popular on Sportsters and Big Twins in the '70's. White walls, not so much. That was a Retro style in the '80's throwback to the 60's.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Like Columbo (a '70's TV detective FYI for the younger folks) would say "Just one more thing". In the 60's and to the mid '70's the Sportster was Harley's performance bike. Magazine road test always had a picture of a burnout and showed the Sportster on the drag strip. Look at some of the old pictures of the 1% clubs back then and you will see Sportsters well represented. The Sportster top end would outlast a Pan or Knuck top end. They sometimes had some trans problems but they were easy to fix as the trans was built in a cassette and easy to remove.

Sometime around the mid '70's sportsters became less desireable. I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a used '76 FLH and was amazed at how slow it was compared to my XLH. Another thing was before the FX Super Glides the big twin had poorely spaced gears. First was really low for parade work, big jump to second, third close to second, and big jump to fourth, Andrews had better replacements and the FX series did too from the factory.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:32 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

Originally Posted by carlsdyna
I have thought of trading my lowrider towards one but?
I know darn well Ill have payments and that is something I do not want at this time!
Bike for bike, you would regret that trade.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM
JeffHurt
Intermediate

The 72 is named after a highway in California, not the year 1972

Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Andoni
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Chrisabyss
It's a pity that we don't have the 72, and as of 2 years ago discontinued with having the Nightster model here in Australia. I am looking to buy a new 1200 Sportster, but we only have the "48" and 1200 custom as possible choices. Both models are far from the 72 and Nightster in design and features. I was told by a local HD dealer that i should just buy either and and customize it to look like the 72... That is a ridiculous idea, as the cost would just blow out. I'm wondering if it would be a better idea and much cheeper to try and import a "72" still in the crate to Australia...

No need to import my local dealer in Geelong told me the 72 will arrive around September.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Chrisabyss
Stage II

Originally Posted by Andoni
No need to import my local dealer in Geelong told me the 72 will arrive around September.
That would be fantastic if it does Andoni. My local dealer in Gosford didn't seem to know much... i will stoked to own one, as i pretty much like everything about that model. 8)))...

Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want this paint lol

Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Andoni
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Chrisabyss
That would be fantastic if it does Andoni. My local dealer in Gosford didn't seem to know much... i will stoked to own one, as i pretty much like everything about that model. 8)))...

Yeah I love the sporties too perfect for around town! My dealer admitted his reluctance of ordering any in (floor stock) because there have been so many different sportster models of late, and they're 'sick of tripping over them'. Perhaps your dealer has the same thought? Regardless test ride a sportster that has the same ergonomics of the 72, if you like it I'm sure your dealer would be more then willing to order a 72 for you.

Quick Reply: Reveiw of Sportster 72