General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BikeMaster Tire Pressure Indicator Caps-WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 AM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BikeMaster Tire Pressure Indicator Caps-WARNING

A friend of mine on another motorcycle forum recently posted a warning.
He and a friend of his were given, as gifts, sets of these Bikemaster tire pressure indicator caps.
He went for a short ride and stopped for lunch. When he got off his bike he heard an air leak. The cap on the front tire had thrown the guts out of it and in the process, the valve core had been loosened. The rear cap was in the same condition except somehow the core was not leaking on that one. Luckily he had only ridden about 15 miles before stopping for lunch. He also still had hid old valve cap with him and it was the kind with the valve core wrench on top. He tightened the cores and he was good to go.
Could have been a disaster. When he got home, he got a call from his other friend who had also received the caps.....he had the same exact problem.

A few days after contacting the manufacturer, he got a call back. The representative had a bunch of questions because apparently they had another call from someone who had the same problem. The rep was really concerned when he learned about the second friends cap failing. Sounds like a full recall is in order.
He said the rep offered to replace the caps for free. He said he'd NEVER put another of those on his bike. The rep then offered to send some hats and t-shirts. My friend laughed and said, "so now I'm supposed to advertize the product that nearly killed me"?

Here's a link to the product in question. http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster...indicator-caps

Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been lots of horror stories about valve stem caps. This is just the most recent. I am a firm believer in short, light as possible, well built caps. I don't want no fuzzy dice, monkeys, lighted, or flashing valve stem caps. Why stress a valve stem that keeps the air in my tires?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use something like that on my farm vehicles! Will be keeping an eye on on them! Don't know if the manufactuer is the same tho...

Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Been lots of horror stories about valve stem caps. This is just the most recent. I am a firm believer in short, light as possible, well built caps. I don't want no fuzzy dice, monkeys, lighted, or flashing valve stem caps. Why stress a valve stem that keeps the air in my tires?
You can get monkeys? That's what I'm going with.

I had a problem with the HD Willie G chrome caps - they have rubber O-rings that serve no purpopse except to get stuck inside your valve stem, so air won't go out or in.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:26 PM
fratojoe
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased Bike Master PSI Monitior in 2012. Placed on front and rear of my HD. My wife and I were traveling 70 MPH on a full dresser and thought that the front tire had caught a flat. We barely made it to the berm, almost dumped the bike 3 times in the process of getting over. Tore my boot and sprained my ankle. Through the grace of God, we were still alive.

Inspected tires, and to my surprise I noticed that the tire and tube were not defective, the valve stem monitor had failed, causing the air to leak slowly out of my front tire. I checked the back and it crumbled in my hand.

Called Shade Tree Motor Sports where I purchased them in 2012, said they were discontinued, for unknown reason and they still had some on the shelf. They gave me their suppliers number for Bike Master Products, also doing business as Tucker Rocky out of Fort Worth, TX. Spoke to MFG Reps, Daniel and Philip, said they were aware of the issue and offered to replace my boots. Called Shade Tree back, advised them of what I was told by their Reps and they immediately pulled them off the shelf.

Amazingly they are still selling them on Bikemaster, under another part number, even though they are aware of the issue. Called attorney and they said nothing could be done unless someone has a fatality or an injury. Filed complaints with every regulatory comission I could, in OH and TX along with the BBB.

What do you think about this?!?!

Please pass word on to friends who may have this part on their bike.