General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt broken in Lower Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Squarejive
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt broken in Lower Rocker

Hello HD forum veterans,

My name is Charlie. Im from Indianapolis and I ride a 2008 Nightster.

Just recently I took on the task of removing my rocker boxes to replace the gaskets. While doing so I broke a bolt off inside on the lower rocker box. I purchased a screw extractor. Could I have some veteran advice before I undertake this operation.

Also, I tried to keep the project moving by working on the (front cyclinder) lower rocker box. And for some reason I can't get it to sit flush. The push rods are holding the lower rocker from sitting properly by about a 1/4inch all around. I've been rotating the rear tire with the bike in 5th gear.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

You have to tighten the bolts a little bit each before going on to another bolt.. They will gradually compress the lifters and the rocker boxes will go flush. If you try to tighten them too fast you will bend your pushrods.

You don't have to rotate the tire at all.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Squarejive
Just recently I took on the task of removing my rocker boxes to replace the gaskets. While doing so I broke a bolt off inside on the lower rocker box. I purchased a screw extractor. Could I have some veteran advice before I undertake this operation.
Can you lift the lower rocker box off and grab the head of the bolt with some vice grips?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Squarejive
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texashillcountry- Unfortunately, when the bolt broke, the head of bolt came off (in my hand now) while the remainder stayed in the threads. Thus, the broken bolt is essentially holding the lower rocker to the top of the engine. I purchased a screw extractor and I'd love to have some expert advice before I attempt to use it.

In addition, I purchased a new lower rocker (Yes- I am assuming that i mess up the threads in the current lower rocker). Is there anything special about swaping the camshaft arms from one lower rocker to the next?

Thank you for your help and advice!