General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with Long Ride Shields

Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 AM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with Long Ride Shields

I just wanted to post about my experience with LRS. I sent them a PM on Sunday night late with my order for a 6" Dark Smoke and 7" Dark Smoke shield for a Streetglide and Ultra Classic. I got an order confirmation Monday morning and then another email with a tracking # on Wednesday morning. The shields should have arrived on Saturday but didn't make it until yesterday but that is the USPS for ya.

Installed the shields when I got home yesterday and the son-in-law and I took them out for a short test spin. Worked amazingly well. I do get a little head/helmet shake at about 60+ but my helmet has a snap on visor. I could have stood to have it another inch taller but that was my call and doesn't reflect bad on LRS at all.

Cudos to LRS for a great product and even BETTER customer service.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Always good to hear a posititve report on products. Usualy people only speak up when they do not like something. Post a picture of your bike with the new addition.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
jb13
Cruiser

With tons of companies producing aftermarket gear and the wide selection of places to buy, it's always good to hear of positive experiences-

Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

I agree,have had good dealings with LRS.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm curious, can you go with a shorter shield if it flips up thusly?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup, I have 3 LRS shields & they were great to deal with every time. I'd prefer UPS over USPS, but their shipping is pretty fast, regardless.

I'm curious, can you go with a shorter shield if it flips up thusly?
I thought you could, but apparently not. I purposely ordered one a little short, just for that reason. After talking with the factory, it turns out you're supposed to measure & order the same way, regardless of whether it's a flip-up or not. At least, that's the way that I interpreted it.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 03-27-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Order it the same as normal. Top of the windshield should hit you mid-face. They have a video with detailed instructions on how to measure for the correct hight right on their website, dont get much easier than that!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
BillM
Road Captain

Will get some pics and post up tonight.

As for finding the size you need. Get into your comfy position. Slumped down like you would be after about 20 minutes of riding. Then measure from the top of the center screw in the fairing to a point between your top lip and the bottom of your nose.

If I had done that on mine I would have ended up with a 9" shield instead of the 7" I bought. Mine works very well.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 star AAA +++ products and more importantly service from Long Ride Shields. I have two shields from them and couldn't be happier with products or customer service.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by BillM
Will get some pics and post up tonight.

As for finding the size you need. Get into your comfy position. Slumped down like you would be after about 20 minutes of riding. Then measure from the top of the center screw in the fairing to a point between your top lip and the bottom of your nose.

If I had done that on mine I would have ended up with a 9" shield instead of the 7" I bought. Mine works very well.
The measurements for an LRS are critical, though I'd suggest rounding down, and a properly measured shield will cut buffeting.

I have the ultra and find the front end a bit less stable, but not uncomfortably so and I'm pretty darn happy with the results. Thinking about one of the laser etched shields as a follow up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My experience with Long Ride Shields