General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Fatboy Compensator Sprocket Question

Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Peter340
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Fatboy Compensator Sprocket Question

I'm working on the compensator sprocket on my '90 Fatboy. This is a new bike for me and am rectifying some problems from the previous owner.

Upon inspection of the compensator sprocket, I noticed that the front and back section could rotate back and forth with little or no effort. I checked the sprocket nut tension, and it was tight and torqued to spec. I disassembled the unit and found that shims were placed between the two halves of the compensator sprocket, and I'm guessing that the intent was to lessen the spring tension between the halves. Everywhere that I look, I see no reference to this being shimmed and I think they should not be there.

When I removed the shims, the halves are not easily moved against each other. Logically I would expect this to be correct as I don't think the compensator should be allowed to move back and forth by hand.

I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation as to what force is required to move the compensator and if the shims are not supposed to be in there.

I understand the shim to space the primary sprocket is necessary, and some people add a spacer to keep the nut from bottoming out on the shaft, however, no additional shims should be located between the halves of the compensator sprocket.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

go to "primary/driveline/clutch " section ..
there is good information there