General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching out Road King handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:42 PM
McJim
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching out Road King handlebars

Okay - I need some feedback please. I own a 05 Road King FLHRI. I have switched out the stock seat with a Mustang and love it. The reach on the standard Road King handlebars is driving me (and my back) insane. I sense that the local dealer is trying to upgrade me on the handlebars base on the individual I'm speaking to'scommisions and not what might work best for me.
My options are: Road King II Chubby Bars (whichseem comfortable sitting still and look pretty cool but who knows 300 miles down the road)
I have heard that many RK owners have switched witha Heritage Softailhandlebar that it hasworked well. I guess (tell me if I'm wrong) that police have done studies on long saddle time comfort and these bars work best. The difference is about $800 so I'm motivated to seek other opinions. Can anyone help me out?
I'm 6' tall, pretty average build about 200 lbs.
Thanks!

Old 12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Switching out Road King handlebars

I'm similar in size to you, 6'2"/225, and I'm going to go with the RK High Handlebars. The Heritage and reduced reach bars don't seem to be a good fit for me.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:57 PM
McJim
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm not too familiar with those. Are they Harley stocking item?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:03 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What is gonna cost 800 bucks for the Chubbys'? Are you paying someone else to do it?Arethey trying to sell you cables? You do not need throttle cables or a clutch cable to make them fit. You can route them touse the bars. You can get by with bending the brake line to fit, but it is ugly. I suggest replacing it.

I have 39" Beach Bars on my RKC and still have the original cables. I have swapped bars on several RKCs and have been about to use the cables in most cases.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, both the RK High Handlebars(P/N 55954-00)and the Reduced Reach bars(P/N 56152-04) are from HD.

ORIGINAL: McJim

I guess I'm not too familiar with those. Are they Harley stocking item?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Whoever is quoting you $800 to swap to a set of RKII's is out of their mind. Run (don't walk) away from that person. I put those exact same bars on my Road King Classic. You don't have to extend any wiring and you don't have to extend any cables. Look at the Wild1 site, they specifically mention this. Again, I've done it and so have many others. It's a fairly easy job, but if you don't feel you can do it that's fine. A shop should not be charging any more than 2 hours to do this swap.

Here's a pic (not the greatest) of the RKII's on my (well someone else's now) Classic.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I helped a friend of mine put heritage bars on his RK. He really likes them and it took about 30 minutes and no new cables where required. The total cost was 4 beers, (2 each) 50 bucks for the heritage bars, and about 30 minutes. So like was stated already, Run, Run as fast as you can from anyone that wants 800 dollars to change your bars.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chubby bagger bars here... BEST upgrade to date on my RKC. I too have a Mustang seat, which raised me up an inch or so. My dealer installed mine with internal wiring at ~$350 including the bars.

My back no longer hurts and riding is upright and comfortable.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:36 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: BREAD

Chubby bagger bars here... BEST upgrade to date on my RKC. I too have a Mustang seat, which raised me up an inch or so. My dealer installed mine with internal wiring at ~$350 including the bars.

My back no longer hurts and riding is upright and comfortable.
Pictures?[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 12-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I priced the Chubby Bars today at my dealer for my RK. His price just for either set of bars was some $189.xx each. Toss in an additional $300 if you wanted to lengthen the cables and those by the book are not needed!

I'm 6'3" and long wasted. Need to ditch the stock bars soon. I'm really floored that it would take $800 to change them out by the deal and I'm of the impression thats including the bars and extenstions for brake lines, throtle cables too.... plus stuffing the wires inside!

Thats way to high.

I was not getting a service quote since I'd do all the install myself!

Quick Reply: Switching out Road King handlebars