General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam chain tensioner problems with an 88

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:33 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
well, when I got it it had 6K on it. I've ridden it about 7K from last July until now. Figure I'll get 7 or 8K in this year, and that will knock it up to around 20. Heck, I've put more miles on it in 9 months than the previous owner did in 8 years
You better start cutting your oil filters open and look for orange plastic.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by tom1169
Has anyone been notified from the Motor Co. that we may have a problem the cam chain tensioners? Can you find it in your manual when you should inspect for it? Is it listed on the schedule maintenance page? I could not find it. Nor has the motor co. sent out any info on this, that it may be a problem as per the Customer Rep. from Harley. Mine went at 30k. The motor co. said they don't give any assistance on help with the bill, but if you haven't paid the dealer for the work yet, you should negotiate the bill with them. I said it is not the dealers responsibility to publish a warning letter for a known problem that Harley has, but the Motor Co. I think the Motor Co. should review it's policies. Issue a notice that said part maybe faulty and to have it addressed at nearest Dealer. I won't hold my breath..... Tom1169
If you had visited any Harley forum and asked about potential problems with your TC88, you would have saved yourself a lot of grief. I installed the Herko/Andrews tensioner kit when I did my 95" build at 52k miles. The stock tensioners were worn about halfway through.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
well, when I got it it had 6K on it. I've ridden it about 7K from last July until now. Figure I'll get 7 or 8K in this year, and that will knock it up to around 20. Heck, I've put more miles on it in 9 months than the previous owner did in 8 years
Sorry man ... I thought that you had it before and after the Vic.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised that there is anyone left that didn't know the tensioners were crap.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Surprised that there is anyone left that didn't know the tensioners were crap.
especially the earlier ones. I thing after about 03 the material was a bit stronger. There was really no ryme or reason for how they wore. When I checked mine last year, the inner shoe which you have to view with a lighted mirror was in good shape after 55K. I had more wear on the outer shoe. Most folks have had the opposite happen with the inner one the point of failure. I babied the engine for the first 20K. I got a feeling that that is why I've been able to last longer. It's just like sex ... smooth and easy .. you will go all night.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I've thought about it. Got an 05 that will hit 70K tonight on the way home. Have not replaced the shoes yet. They looked pretty good last winter at 55K. I spoke to dealer, they told me they would NOT replace old style shoes. They only do the upgrade cam plate/oil pump and of course recommend, new bearings upgraded cam, adjustable push rods, lifters, exaust, power commander, dyno. What kind of F'n racket are they running over there. I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Yeah, nothing in the owners manual or service manual about even checking those F'ers.
Should have been a class action suit a long time ago on this one. I realize that a retro fit for free is expensive. Yeah, I've been one of the luckier ones so far but I'm on borrowed time now. I can't afford what the dealer "thinks" I should do.
I've got a slight oil seep in the rear rocker cover, so I know I will have to remove the tank to change the gasket. May as well slip the push rods out, clamp up the lifters, remove cam chest cover, take out the plate and replace the shoes myself. May take a couple of days to do but .....
The RK I'm working on right now let go at 70K. Took the cam plate, oil pump, cams and all with it. Cost the owner more since now I had to remove the oil pan to clean out the system and replace all the parts $$$$. Don't worry about removing the tank, very easy. Funny thing is I told the owner about 3 weeks before it happened, to let me inspect the shoes. Oh well.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

The original set on our '02 ran 50K before I changed then. The second set was still good at 97K. Been running Syn3 and having them inspected on the 10's.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Since nobody has done so yet.

Here is a pic one of mine at 40K. I was lucky. My bike was one of the cam bearing failure bikes back in 1999. Repair of the failure included new tensioners. Nonetheless, I am real happy with my SE hydralic set up and Andrews cams now. Best money I have spend on my bike.

Attached Thumbnails Cam chain tensioner problems with an 88-outer-tensioner.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Jrod66002
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was looking to buy my 01 EG the first thing out of everyone's mouth was "Have the tensioners been changed? You better check them". With 57k on the clock I assumed they may have been done already. The top end had a rattle that was a lil loud but I got a deal on the bike because of it. To make a long story short a bad lifter was causing the rattle. Found that while I was checking my tensioners. Inner was 50-60% worn. Outer was roughly 40%. Since I was in there I put in a set of Andys 26 cams, cam bearings, new stock lifters, adj pushrods and stock tensioners. I heard a lot of talk about the hyd upgrade but at the same time I've heard that the tensioner failure was less a design flaw and more related to bad shoe material. The ol girl carries excellent oil pressure. I'm happy with the way I went. Figured I could keep my eye on those tensioners and spend that $700 on something else.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost 40K on my '06 Deuce. Had the money put back for an upgrade with cams etc., but my Daughters tranny went south in her Honda and Daddy is back to pinching pennies again. Good luck to those of us still running stock shoe assemblies.

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner problems with an 88