General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone rigid mounted an "A" twin cam engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Has anyone rigid mounted an "A" twin cam engine?

So I have an extra softail frame for an EVO style engine laying around. There are adapter plates available to put a mount on the back of a 88 or 96 twin cam engine but I was just wondering if anyone out there has actually done it and what the vibration level is compared to a rigid mounted evo. I have a rigid Evo softail and that vibration is quite tolerable. The new engine seem to have the same basic design features. So has anyone done this? Thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Interested myself. You can get TC engines cheap, so I have asked myself the same question.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

So just have one balanced if your worried about vibration , knocks transient shakes way down and increases engine life by about half again .

Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought the "B" twin cam was balanced. If so, would that be the better engine to try the rigid mount with? Would the A vibrate enough to break any welds on your mounting plate, or shear off any bolts?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

If any engine shook that much do you honestly think they could sell it ? The "B" motor is counter balanced meaning it has a counter rotating weight trying to neutralize the motor's inherit vibration .

A stock motor is rough balanced at the factory to certain acceptable percentage because of money and speed in the manufacturing process . Given to a good machine shop who does this professionally a balance & blue print job can reduce the motor's felt vibration by 1/2 or more with increases in torque & HP .

Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
So I have an extra softail frame for an EVO style engine laying around. There are adapter plates available to put a mount on the back of a 88 or 96 twin cam engine but I was just wondering if anyone out there has actually done it and what the vibration level is compared to a rigid mounted evo. I have a rigid Evo softail and that vibration is quite tolerable. The new engine seem to have the same basic design features. So has anyone done this? Thanks.
My last build from ground up was a aftermarket softail frame and 'A'- "88" TC engine with a adapter. After riding pans and shovels all my life. The vibration from the TC 88 was like manna for me. Sold the bike. Wish I had not done that. I really liked that bike.

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone rigid mounted an "A" twin cam engine?-www.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
So just have one balanced if your worried about vibration , knocks transient shakes way down and increases engine life by about half again .
But I want it to SHAKE!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by OLD 96
My last build from ground up was a aftermarket softail frame and 'A'- "88" TC engine with a adapter. After riding pans and shovels all my life. The vibration from the TC 88 was like manna for me. Sold the bike. Wish I had not done that. I really liked that bike.
So did you use the tranny from the 88?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
So did you use the tranny from the 88?
Nope. RevTech six speed tranny.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
Thanks for the post, as I have just never heard if the twin cam was smooth enough to be rigid mounted.

Quick Reply: Has anyone rigid mounted an "A" twin cam engine?