General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 AM
NativeTexican
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking

When I took the MSC I was told you I was to only park in parking spots. I remember as a kid my dad always parked his motorcycle in the cross section at the end of parking spots. Does anyone still do this?

I have always figured that there is more than enough room to park two motorcycles in a normal parks spot but at work the guys park in the middle of a spot not allowing room for another motorcycle.

Since I am new to riding I was wanting to know what the normal practice is when it comes to parking. Do you park at the end of spots? Do you leave room in standard spots for another bike? Do you squeeze your bike beside another bike?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Maveric777
4th Gear

I was told that so long as there isn't an adjoining handicap parking to the spot you can park there.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 AM
DieTrying
3rd Gear

Technically those striped end caps are usually no parking zones. Will anyone enforce that... probably not. If I'm riding by myself I take up the whole parking space.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

The stripes areas in a parking lot are no parking zones.
Back your bike into the open space, leaving the front wheel about even with the front bumper of a car, if it was parked there.

1) You can get out of the space and not worry about being blocked in.

2) The front of your bike is close enough to the front of the spot, so a car doesn't think the spot is empty and come flying into the spot and hit the bike.

3) If you leave space for another bike, who's to say he won't block you in somehow, so you can't get out?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you park at the end of spots?

NO, simply because they aren't legal parking spots.
Do you leave room in standard spots for another bike?
If a buddy is with me then yes, I leave room for him/them. We can fit 4 bikes in one spot, if needed. However, leave room for a "stranger's" bike? Hell no!
Do you squeeze your bike beside another bike?

Hell no! I find my own spot.

IE: If I'm alone, I pull my bike right into the middle of a full, legal, parking space.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I do use the cross lined area at Walmart parking lot. Talked to security there one time and they had no problem with it and frees us a space if their real busy. Dont do it to save steps as when in my truck or car, park so far away to avoid other car door dings. But for protection as there are large steel poles in the cross area.

And never allow any room for another bike unless it a buddy with me. I have had guys park so close, I could barely stand my bike up to leave.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No,I do not park in cross sections! I don't park in pedestrian areas! I park in the center of a parking spot unless I am riding with another bike which is rare!
I try to be considerate and not park so close to other bikes that it makes it difficult for them to get out!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
NativeTexican
Road Captain

To me it is a waste for one bike to take up a parking place.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maveric777
I was told that so long as there isn't an adjoining handicap parking to the spot you can park there.
That is what I was told as well. I will park in a spot if close, but half the time I am in the cross strips just to get the bike close to the door and to leave a spot open for cars.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If I'm alone I'll use an entire space, but if I'm with another rider we'll put two bikes in one space. As far as cross-hatched areas goes I'll use one if it is in a corner where I can't be blocked in or able to protect the bike from other motorists. I don't use them to save steps, as a matter of fact I'll usually park further away from store entrances just to keep others from parking next to me.

Quick Reply: Parking