General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chaps versus bibs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 PM
alberta
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chaps versus bibs

not sure if this is the rite place to post. but does any one have experience with leather bibs been using chaps but looking at leather bibs for more protection, thinking of buying from Stone Lake Leatherworks does Stone Lake make a good product? not keen on stuff from Asia. any advice would be appreciated thanks

Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

If I haad to use I'd rather have chaps for ease of use.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Vetter leather bib I've had for over 25 yrs. They are warmer than my chaps but much thinner leather.
I now wear USA made Fox Creek leather overpants. The overpants are full length zippered and go on or off as easy as chaps.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chaps equal cold/wet crotch! Over pants, either leather or fabric(I use Motoport stretch Kevlar) work better and linings can be changed for weather.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Carhartt Bib type have zip up the side to below the knee so easy on and off even with boots and the bib part offers extra protection on the stomach and chest area from cold wind.

Leather over pants zip on simillar to chaps but offer more protection on the *** for sliding down the road in the event of coming off and are alittle warmer.

Chaps are only doing half the job but maybe cooler in the summer months if you feel the need to wear leather while riding.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Stone Lake bibs. Great quality, no problems, easy on and off without removing boots. I got mine sized to wear over my work clothes. Great service from them, as well - arrived very quickly all the way over here.
One warning: a fashion statement they are not!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by alberta
not sure if this is the rite place to post. but does any one have experience with leather bibs been using chaps but looking at leather bibs for more protection, thinking of buying from Stone Lake Leatherworks does Stone Lake make a good product? not keen on stuff from Asia. any advice would be appreciated thanks
If your looking for protection from the elements and the asphalt get armored, textile (Cordura or Kevlar reinforced) over pants with a removeable rain/insulating liner and adjustable venting for warmer weather. If your looking to make a fashion statement go for the chaps or my personal favorite, the long life leather bib........

Attached Thumbnails chaps versus bibs-450px-bib_pants.jpg  

Last edited by fat_tony; 05-06-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got three or four Carhartt bibs I wear around the ranch all the time they are nice to wear riding in the spring or fall when the temps are still on the cool side. I have some that are insulated as well but if it's that cold the bike usually stays in the garage.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Cold/wet nads are what I hate about chaps. Pants are too difficult to find, other than online. No experience with a bib.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Carhart bibs for me as well. Fashion statement that they not, but they keep me warm and dry and are easy on and off over your clothes and boots.

Quick Reply: chaps versus bibs