General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cradle Mount - Road Tech Quest

Old 01-02-2007, 02:03 PM
dunerider
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cradle Mount - Road Tech Quest

Hi Fellow Bikers,
I've got the RoadTech Quest(Garmin Quest) GPS with the Harley Mount kit on my FLHTCUI for almost a year with no problems - Till last weekend....
When I removed the GPS from the Hot Shoe, the clip at the bottom of the cradle broke off. It was only then that I relised what bad engineering the cradle is and how flimsy it is. I went to my nearest Harley dealer to order another clip and they reacon I have to order the complete Cradle Mount - Part no. 92108-05. I can not justify payining a $100 for a complete cradle if a single part can be replace.

Anyone out there to give me some advice please? I've attached a picture to point out the broken part.
Thank you

[IMG]local://upfiles/22750/54E64CB4B2FC45C79FCA61153251C370.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22750/F6072665B6134D26A3F7FC7109CC95B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master
Default RE: Cradle Mount - Road Tech Quest

i went in to buy that mount for my unit and a guy was infront of me with the same problem as yours. he told me that it was under warranty and we was giving them his and getting a new BETTER designed model FREE.

call another dealer and research it online for a recall

Old 01-02-2007, 03:07 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Send a PM to Peekaboo Bob. I know he ahd a lot of problems with his. Don't know if he's got it fixed completely or not, but he was working on it.

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Oldandslow
Cruiser

I have the same mount with my Quest. I had the contact pin on the cradle break off (one of the pins that touches the contacts on the Quest) and Garmin sent me a complete cradle for free. Garmin is a "stand-up" company! If the part you're talking about is made by Garmin, contact them for help.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 PM
dunerider
Stage IV

Thanks for the info -
Larry, just to clarify the "Garmin sent me a complete cradle for free"

I was under the impression that the RoadTech is OEM (Other Equipment Manufacturer) for the Garmin and I can only order the replacement parts from Harley Davidson. Are you saying I should try and contact Garmin for this bracket ?

Thanks
Gerard

Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, call Garmin. 1-800-800-1020 Mon - Fri 8am - 5pm central time. They sent me a new cradle also. It's supposed to be a new design. It's been working fine so far. I have gone to not taking the cradle off, but taking the GPS out of the cradle. Lessens the chance of breaking the clip.

Sid

Old 01-02-2007, 04:54 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: EC145Pilot

Yes, call Garmin. 1-800-800-1020 Mon - Fri 8am - 5pm central time. They sent me a new cradle also. It's supposed to be a new design. It's been working fine so far. I have gone to not taking the cradle off, but taking the GPS out of the cradle. Lessens the chance of breaking the clip.

Sid
I checked mine and it matches dunerider's pic. Haven't had any problemyet but I've done less than 1,000 miles withthe Garmin mount installed. Can you tell any difference in your new cradlevs the old one? Have any idea what they did differently?

I've thought about just pulling the GPS out of the cradle when removing it, but I think the two small locater pins look pretty delicate, so I'm not sure which is the best approach.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, it's a POS. [:@]I've had both the cradle and hot shoe break, with the cradle breaking twice. I solved the problem by using JB Weld to bond the two pieces together. I haven't had a problem since.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Definatly contact Garmin. They sent me a new one when mine did the same thing...no questions asked...I had it in a couple days. Garmin stands behind thier product.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 AM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: dstockton

ORIGINAL: EC145Pilot

Sid
I checked mine and it matches dunerider's pic. Haven't had any problemyet but I've done less than 1,000 miles withthe Garmin mount installed. Can you tell any difference in your new cradlevs the old one? Have any idea what they did differently?

I've thought about just pulling the GPS out of the cradle when removing it, but I think the two small locater pins look pretty delicate, so I'm not sure which is the best approach.
dstockton

I'm not really sure what the difference was. I was also having a problem with intermittent power and audio outages, you could move theGPS ever so slightly in the cradleand the new cradle fixed that. I used to shove a business card between the bottom of the GPS and the cradle. I also had a problem with the clip on the bottom of the cradle not catching firmly in the second notch of the hot shoe, added a second spring under the clip and fixed that. After getting the new cradle, I went ahead and added the spring, slid it on and haven't removed it in six months. No problems with power or sound.

Sid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cradle Mount - Road Tech Quest