General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Screamin' Eagle Parts Void Warranty?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 PM
FireB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Screamin' Eagle Parts Void Warranty?

Just like the title said, "Does Screamin' Eagle Parts Void Warranty?"

I am trying to put in the
Screamin' EagleŽ Heavy Breather Performance Air Cleaner Kit
on my Rocker C and wanting to know an opinion on aftermarket parts that HD Dealer sells.

I have purchased the extended warranty on the bike and really want to keep the warranty as I won't be doing anything else mechanical (I don't consider air intake as anything mechanical but...).

If anyone has good or bad experience with Screamin' Eagle aftermarket parts, please enlighten me with it.
One dealer online has a sale till tomorrow so I wanna make sure I get some kinda answer before tomorrow ends!

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Not really void warrenty but in the SE catolog it will state "for race use only" and if a failer can be blamed on a SE part you installed then that claim will be rejected.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I believe the SE Heavy Breather is 50 state legal when installed as per directed. I can't speak to warranty questions. It looks like you have non stock exhaust on your bike so you may need to recalibrate your bikes computer when you add a free breathing intake such as the HB.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

if you look in the catalog, it will tell you whether or not the se part that you are considering will 'have warranty implications'. look for the green light, or crossed flags symbols.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As was said to me, anything that you add to your bike can and will be held against you in the court of warranty.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Big Island Rider
Advanced

Short version, yes.

Long version: My best friend had his 88 bumped to 95, hotter cams and some other engine work done to the tune to $10k at the dealership on his bike. When a pushrod crapped our the dealership diagnosed the issue and submitted the warranty claim with the MOCO and it was, wait for it................................................ .DENIED.

All parts were SE and he was through the roof furious. The dealership made it kinda good by refunding his unused portion of the warranty and split the cost of the repair. It all netted to about $50 to him.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 PM
FireB
Advanced

Originally Posted by soft 02
Not really void warrenty but in the SE catolog it will state "for race use only" and if a failer can be blamed on a SE part you installed then that claim will be rejected.
That's good to know.
I will try to be safe and have HD install the parts just in case.
Even though it's a freakin' 20min job....

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I believe the SE Heavy Breather is 50 state legal when installed as per directed. I can't speak to warranty questions. It looks like you have non stock exhaust on your bike so you may need to recalibrate your bikes computer when you add a free breathing intake such as the HB.
Thanks for the info.
It does state that it needs to be remapped.
I got the bike with the exhaust from the Harley Dealer so I am sure having the exhaust would be covered.

Originally Posted by skratch
if you look in the catalog, it will tell you whether or not the se part that you are considering will 'have warranty implications'. look for the green light, or crossed flags symbols.
This is what it states........

WARNING
Installation of Screamin' Eagle Products, and similar products from other manufacturers, except some street legal offerings installed by authorized Harley dealers, may affect your H-D limited vehicle warranty. See your dealer for more information.

So that means one dealer can say YES and others can say NO to the warranty.
What kinda ambiguous answer is that?!

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
As was said to me, anything that you add to your bike can and will be held against you in the court of warranty.
Thanks for this info too.
I guess dealer is selling aftermarket parts so they can break the bike faster and not deal with warranty that they offer for such and expensive price?!
This is bullsh*t to the tenth power.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
Yep. This is the only safe way to go. Anything that is marked for race use only, you're taking a risk. Depending on the dealer/policy they may still help you out, though.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
FireB
Advanced

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Yep. This is the only safe way to go. Anything that is marked for race use only, you're taking a risk. Depending on the dealer/policy they may still help you out, though.
So the smartest thing to do is finish up my current year Extended warranty until next March and then install the air filter.......
Man, I never had extended warranty on any of my cars or bikes but a used Harley was something I took caution with.
It ran great for 1,200 miles from the time of purchase so maybe I should go no-warranty from next year as it looks like it's properly running......

Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FireB

Thanks for this info too.
I guess dealer is selling aftermarket parts so they can break the bike faster and not deal with warranty that they offer for such and expensive price?!
This is bullsh*t to the tenth power.

Warranties are touchy, law states they have to prove said aftermarket part caused the issue to not honor the repair. You also need to have money to take them to court if you do have a issue that they are denying. That being said it all depends on your dealer. Some are better than others when it comes to dealing with warranty work. If they install the part they are more likely to honor warranty issues when its comes to that part. You should get a feel for the dealer you are doing business with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Screamin' Eagle Parts Void Warranty?