General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Customer service

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Fatboy784
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Customer service

Had a terrible experience with HD Customer service just wondering if anyone had the same

Brief Overview...

Was riding my 2012 Road King from Nashville to Vegas. Bike broke down 88 miles outside Vegas due to a bad volt regulator. Only 4200 miles on the odometer. Used my "free" HOG membership (Got it with the bike purchase,they suck too) to get roadside assistance. They dispatch a tow truck and tell me they will only cover 100 dollars of what turns out to be a 586 dollar tow bill. Initially LVHD is totally worthless until I get the service manager on the phone and pitch a fit, he agrees to wait at the dealership to lock up the bike for me. Spend the night in Vegas bike is fixed the next day and we leave. At the advice of the dealership I got the bike at (Keystone Harley in PA) I call HD Customer service, the Service Manager from LVHD calls also. HD Customer service tells me that I should either call my insurance or that I should have bought the Extended Service Plan since they are not going to cover the tow cost even though it was a bad part under warranty that caused the bike to break down. I tell the Customer Service Rep Chris that since I am in the military as soon as I get back from leave I am going to do 3 things;

1. Talk to my JAG about legal avenues
2. Since HD sells bikes through the Exchange Service, register a formal complaint through them
3. Talk to local newspaper about covering the story.

Chris basically threatens me by telling me I should be careful since there are a lot of higher ups in the Military that love HD and they would not be happy.

Bottom line is I do not think I should have to eat a 400+ tow bill because HD put a crappy volt regulator on my bike. I am crazy to think they should reimburse me?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,447 Likes on 4,734 Posts

I think you are S.O.L. You got what HOG provides.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 AM
michaelm
Tourer

In a word, "yes"...
For $19.95 you could have (and should have) bought the full towing coverage. It's saved me more than once. Sometimes parts fail, that's why there's a warranty, but that doesn't mean you are covered for a tow.

Cheap out and take the risk. Get burned, it's on you.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:51 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy784
Had a terrible experience with HD Customer service just wondering if anyone had the same

Brief Overview...

Was riding my 2012 Road King from Nashville to Vegas. Bike broke down 88 miles outside Vegas due to a bad volt regulator. Only 4200 miles on the odometer. Used my "free" HOG membership (Got it with the bike purchase,they suck too) to get roadside assistance. They dispatch a tow truck and tell me they will only cover 100 dollars of what turns out to be a 586 dollar tow bill. Initially LVHD is totally worthless until I get the service manager on the phone and pitch a fit, he agrees to wait at the dealership to lock up the bike for me. Spend the night in Vegas bike is fixed the next day and we leave. At the advice of the dealership I got the bike at (Keystone Harley in PA) I call HD Customer service, the Service Manager from LVHD calls also. HD Customer service tells me that I should either call my insurance or that I should have bought the Extended Service Plan since they are not going to cover the tow cost even though it was a bad part under warranty that caused the bike to break down. I tell the Customer Service Rep Chris that since I am in the military as soon as I get back from leave I am going to do 3 things;

1. Talk to my JAG about legal avenues
2. Since HD sells bikes through the Exchange Service, register a formal complaint through them
3. Talk to local newspaper about covering the story.

Chris basically threatens me by telling me I should be careful since there are a lot of higher ups in the Military that love HD and they would not be happy.

Bottom line is I do not think I should have to eat a 400+ tow bill because HD put a crappy volt regulator on my bike. I am crazy to think they should reimburse me?
(Friggin trolls.) Bashing Moco. Bashing dealers. Bashing HOG.

You screwed up by cheaping out on your insurance and by not bothering to understand what kind of warranty, roadside assistance and towing insurance you had. Then, like a spoiled little kid, you start threatening and yelling at everyone who will listen to you.

Pathetic troll.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For your $45.00 a year for HOG I think that's a pretty good deal you got $100.00 off your tow bill!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Ive got HOG and my bike Insurance that both have towing on them.

Never had to use either and I reckon I don't/didn't really know the limits on them.

Thinking my Nationwise is to the nearest HD dealership.?? 100% paid. Reckon now I know HOG is $100..

Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have AAA Plus\RV. I wouln't use HOG at all but I agree with the others. You got what you payed for and HD has no legal obligation to pay the tow bill. Now in my opinion, the dealership should do something for your trouble just as a jesture of good will especially if you're in the military service..

Old 05-19-2012, 12:23 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your right, HOG does suck. But I think its in the fine print that it only covers $100. AAA is good up too 100 miles of towing if you have the rv plus. Whether you have a legit complaint or not remains to be seen, but I remember having an issue with my last f150. Ford had it towed to the dealership and found it only had a bad battery. It was 3 years old and I thought I would have to pay a prorated rate for new one. Nope didn't have to pay one cent.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Fatboy784
Stage III

lo-rider

1. I have roadside assistance on my insurance not going to make them pay for something that is Harley's fault.

2. I bash HOG because they suck...bunch of wanna be-psuedo biker gang members who only ride as far as the nearest Starbucks so they can sit around in their "HOG cuts" covered in pins and patches, sipping a latte telling credit card biker stories.

3. As far as threatening anyone those were not threats they were simple avenues to voice a concern. My concern is this, I can afford the 430 dollars however as a commander of soldiers what if one of them was in the same situation however he is married, a few kids, saved up to buy a nice Harley that he could ride when he takes his leave after getting back from 15 months in combat and had to dish out 430 bucks on his brand new bike? Regardless of what he could have or should have bought prior to the experience he is still stuck so he needs to be made aware of that. Using the Exchange service and the newspaper are the professional way to go about it, since I cant email Harley and call them a bunch of trolls since that solves nothing.

4. Did you write your response from starbucks using their free wi-fi on your trendy new tablet? Were you wearing your Hog leather with your 5000 mile patch on it? You should really turn your internet tough guy down a notch, all that stress may interfere with your hot yoga class later tonight.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:42 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

$600 to tow a bike 88 miles!!!!. Sure glad I have AAA RVPlus.

Quick Reply: HD Customer service