General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a Weaver?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Are you a Weaver?

Are you the type that spends your time weaving in and out of traffic to get past all the 'cages' or do you just 'go with the flow' be it the fast lane or slow?

Couple guys the other day (riding together) and one this morning blew past me (and I'm in the fast lane) and did the ol' in and out through a dozen cars only to turn off up the road... (Harleys both times)

I weave around slow traffic as needed, but if they're going the speed I am, I just go with the flow and keep my distance.

Seems the danger of all that weaving cancels out any benifits of it being safer to get ahead of all the cars, when you've had near misses about 10 times getting there...

Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 AM
TimmH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on traffic, where I'm going and the area I'm in.

On my commute home, I have a small section, probably about a mile, where the far right lane will move through an intersection best, but then 1/8 after the intersection I get alot of right turners that damn near stop before doing the turn. Then 1/4 after than the left lane opens up as most of the people in the left 2 lanes at the previous intersection were there so they can turn left at this intersection.

But getting in that left lane too early is detrimental do to the tards that want to pass all the traffic then cram their way into the left turn lanes.

It's a bit of a gaunlet for 1/2-3/4 mile there and I will weave in and out based on who's moving, turning, stopping or just plain driving like an idiot.

Now I don't do it at 100mph or anything, I just adjust to the speed of the lane I want in and move over, most being done in the 40-50mph range. Then add the construction 1/8 mile after all that where the far right lane is unnavigable on the bike do to the torn up road lines, uneven pavement and debris.

Otherwise I generally just cruise along as long as traffic is moving at an acceptable pace to the speed limit.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We call it filtering in Britain. I ride in and out of London on a daily basis, so there are plenty of opportunities to do it and I will if the circumstances dictate.

I won't filter near to junctions (cagers won't be looking for me, they'll be looking ahead at the junction) or at anything over about 20mph.

It's a Risk vs. Reward thing. You can save vast amounts of time and fuel by filtering, but it's not always safe or sensible to do it. And any mistakes will be immediately "rider error". Doesn't matter what the reason really is - you were filtering so it's rider error. Period.

Sportbike riders seem compelled to filter at every chance they get. Some (most?) are statistics waiting to happen...

Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I am jst another vehicle in traffic. I will hold my position in traffic just like I expect the cagers to do.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

weaver

Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
did the ol' in and out
I don't think that means what you think it means.

But, to the point - No. I try to keep my speeds just above traffic flow to focus fore and just a little less on aft. But, I don't cut people off. I do move around a lot to let people know I'm there.

I had some douche on a Ducati do that to me yesterday. Nearly took off my rear quarter when he misjudged his speed/distance at the exact same time i had to brake for a traffic stoppage (due to construction) on the interstate. Idiot swerves back in front of me and proceeds to make a u-turn at the "authorized vehicles only" gap so he could avoid the traffic jam and go back to the exit half mile back. Damn near got run over when he cut into the regular traffic flow but spun the tire on the loose gravel from the gap. Bad skills+Bad etiquette=Stain on the road. Don't be a douche.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Weaving or lane jumping is Los Angeles traffic never saves time and just adds confusion to the traffic and wastes fuel. Yes I can say this is almost scientific. I have work in the same office since 1986 and you see the same idiots in motorcycles and cars doing day after day. The funny thing I always wind up right behind them at the off ramps.

When on th bike i do lane share, I stay in the same lane and proceed when permissible, and give all cars that move over a thumbs up. Lanes sharing does save me about 15-20 minutes off my commute.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Dream Weaver

Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Depends on my mood. There are times when I'm content to just putt with the flow, but there are also times when I'll weave with the best of them.

I find that if I just lolly-gag along with traffic for any length of time I have a tendency to become complacent and let my mind wander... Not good! If I'm whipping between cars I'm much more aware and in-tune with what's going on around me... And that's good.

From another perspective, and if you've never raced anything before you'll probably never understand this, there is a thrill to be had by "cutting it close" with other vehicles. I'm 58 now and I've mellowed quite a bit, but I still like a rush from time-to-time.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Nope, I'm not really a weaver. I find it annoying when I see other bikes doing it (usually sport bikes) and I don't want to be "that *******".

there is a thrill to be had by "cutting it close" with other vehicles. I'm 58 now and I've mellowed quite a bit, but I still like a rush from time-to-time.
Seriously?? Wouldn't those types of "thrills" be better had on a track somewhere, as opposed to on a public highway where it just annoys the **** out of everyone who sees it? Not to mention the risk you FORCE other people to endure. It's riding like that that gives us ALL a bad rap...

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 05-23-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you a Weaver?