General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Hard To Replace Rear Brake Shoes On A Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tracey87
I just did mine and all you need to do is remove the two pad pins and the pads come right out. Put the new ones in and tighten up pins. Removal of rear wheel isn't needed. And if by some chance you can't get the pads out or back in, all you do is take the axle nut loose and push the axle in far enough to free the caliper. The front is even easier. Just remove pins , remove pads and put the new pads in. Clean with brake cleaner and pump the brakes till firm.
It took me all of 10 minutes to replace mine the other day. Removed the pins and the pads fell right out. Take the top off of the rear brake fluid resivoir and then press the calipers back into thier bores so you can slide the new pads in. Replace pins and then tighten up the resivoir cap.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 PM
macafly
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's an easy job and it's satisfying that you're working on and maintaining your scoot. No, you do not need to remove the rear wheel or the calipers. If I remember correctly, you need a 12 point socket (10mm?) to loosen the pad pins. Take a clean paper towel and soak up (remove) some of the brake fluid from the reservoir and leave the cap off. Use a screwdriver to compress the pistons, pull the pad pins 1/2 way out and remove and replace the inside pad. I think then you need to tighten the pad pins, use the brake level to seat the rear pad against the disc. Now the pistons will hold the rear pad in place, so you can then remove the pad pins entirely and replace the outside pad. Fill the reservoir, pump up the brakes and you're ready to roll.

This is from memory, but I highly recommend the HD service manual. Best money you can spend. Oh, and look at Lyndall brake pads. I don't know if shops carry them. I order mine online.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I did mine it took me about a week! I thought about it for 5 or 6 days and finally went out and got the tools together to do the job. Then it took me an hour or so but I take lots of breaks!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
It took me all of 10 minutes to replace mine the other day. Removed the pins and the pads fell right out. Take the top off of the rear brake fluid resivoir and then press the calipers back into thier bores so you can slide the new pads in. Replace pins and then tighten up the resivoir cap.
Just wondering how many miles you got out of a set of rear pads on your Ultra ?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned the need to bleed the brakes. Isnt this necessary? Or just a good idea?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Agree.

And nice choice in bikes there, springer 03!
Ditto! Great taste you have there!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 PM
macafly
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no need to bleed the brakes when changing brake pads unless somehow you get air in the system. Just make sure there's brake fluid in the reservoir at all times. Compressing the piston away from the disc will force the fluid back to the reservoir.

Replacing brake pads on your HD is basically the same as on your car or truck, except it's even easier because you don't have to take off the tire and you don't have to take off the caliper. Just make sure you follow the process as outlined in the manual: Pad pin 1/2 way out and replace the back pad first.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm somewhat handy with tools, used to build VWs and was a journeyman carpenter as a youth. TZ we need to talk... -L-

Tq

Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CruzN
Just wondering how many miles you got out of a set of rear pads on your Ultra ?
Never had to replace the pads on the Ultra. The ones I replaced were on the Night Train and it had only 12000 miles on it. I think the previous owner used the rear brakes almost exclusively.