General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kelley Blue Book for pricing of used bikes?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kelley Blue Book for pricing of used bikes?

I am starting to shop around for a used bike and to battle the sales guy or private owner, I was wondering if I should use the Kelley blue book... or if there is something better to inform me of the value of a bike?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the online NADA guide. I have checked it agains the NADA book we use at the shop and its usually within about $80 accurate.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 PM
azblackbird
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
I am starting to shop around for a used bike and to battle the sales guy or private owner, I was wondering if I should use the Kelley blue book... or if there is something better to inform me of the value of a bike?
I always go by the KBB trade-in value when making an offer on a bike. If the owner doesn't accept it, then I continue looking till I find somebody that will. E-bay (completed solds) are also a good indicator of what a certain make or model of bike is going for in the real world. Don't go by asking prices! You want actual bikes that have SOLD!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bluebook value on mine goes up and down depending on how much gas is in it.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 AM
toxicstang99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually go with an average of NADA and KBB. I know my Stealer uses NADA.

There will be a big difference between trade in and retail. For instance I used NADA the other day to get both values on my 2009 Deluxe, and trade in was listed at around 11,500, retail was 15,500. I wouldn't pay a cent more over retail from a Stealer if the miles on the bike weren't too high. Private party is a completely different story. How bad do they need the money is a big contributing factor and does he think his Harley is gold and in my local town, Sportsters are apparently wroth gold prices... examples... http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/mcy/3032476040.html
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/mcd/3007987387.html

Good luck in your search

Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The lending institutions & dealers in my area all use NADA - Motorcycle for their values. I'm not aware of anyone using KBB in my area.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Lenders and insurers use NADA.
Dealers like to use Kelley to sell (KBB puts a higher retail value on it than NADA)
In the car business for trade in value they have Black book value that is for auto dealers only.It's lower then both NADA and Kelley.Not sure if bike dealers have the same.
I have a friend in the auto business and when I'm shopping for a used car he will check the Black book value for me to let me know what the dealer probably gave for it in trade or auction.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by captainron62
Use the online NADA guide. I have checked it agains the NADA book we use at the shop and its usually within about $80 accurate.
I tried this just for fun and it shows the '11 RKC with the 96" when it came standard with the 103". It also asks if you have the optional engine guard, saddlebags, oil cooler, windshield etc., all of which were standard It doesn't even show the 103 as an option. Makes me wonder about how accurate the rest of it is.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Maybe someone should tell the Craigslist poster's on crack about NADA and KBB!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 AM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you shouldnt think of it as a battle. It is a negotiation. You want a product somebody else has and they want your money. The real question is who wants what more.

Oh, and for the jackwagon that only offers trade in value to a private seller. I would LMAO and ride away as quickly as possible. If you only want to pay trade in value start a dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kelley Blue Book for pricing of used bikes?