General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Boots--Best Place to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:19 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
I agree. so i'll try to help out.
Here is a pair of brit boots

Attached Thumbnails Best Boots--Best Place to Buy-my-boots.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
I had a pair of Wesco's custom made. Size 15EEEE can't be bought off a shelf. Their customer service, quality and workmanship is second to none. I've always worn RedWings but trust me Wesco's blow them away, there is no comparison.
Leathers much thicker that RedWing, Kevlar stitches, completely made to my specs, foot size and shape all in American by Americans.
What is the color of the shank on those boots?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

Do you mean the the bottom or sole if so it is black? If you mean the metal shank that is between the sole and where your feet [insole] I have no idea I guess it's steel gray. The back strap is black. When ordering a custom boot you design the entire boot and pick any combination of colors, height, style etc you want. Break-in was a bit of a bitch as the leather is very thick but trust me nothing compares to the quality.
They have many styles and options to pick from.
The Guy I worked with name was Ray he was top notch in Customer Service

Last edited by Nokkon Wud; 07-09-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Stompers service is tops and they sell great lines of boots. Treated me great and I'm straight as an arrow. I do think I'll pass on the boot party though.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

"What are "euro-style" boots?"

Here's a couple of quick pics of my old traditional boot (these originally had "harnesses" and "rings", but they were clipped off), compared to the Euro-style boot I wear now.

Notice the Euro boot has a different heel construction (above the sole), toe is different, sole is definitely different (although the boot in the pic can be re-soled, whereas many cannot).

They feel as different as they look. With the traditional boot, it feels like a heavy boot. The Euro-boot is a different world -- it feels almost like a "slipper". I can wear these all day and not even realize that they're "there". Walking around in them is like having sneakers on -- no rubbing, no chafing, no clunking of the heel. Long-legged slippers!

The boot in the pic was made by IXS but is no longer available.

You probably won't find many (any?) like this at a Harley dealer, as I doubt they'd sell there.

One has to go to a "metric" dealer, or a Triumph or BMW place to find them to try on.

No, they don't look "the Harley part", and that kept me from trying them for a while. But once I did, there was no going back to the old, clunky boots. The stovepipe boots in the pics below have sat unused for years next to the new ones....

Attached Thumbnails Best Boots--Best Place to Buy-p7100192.jpg   Best Boots--Best Place to Buy-p7100191.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

For foot and ankle protection the logger or lineman style is far superior to pullons. Redwings got really hard after wearing wet for days. Spent many hours up a pole on a pair of knaps.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:53 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Custom sized and hand made boot's made in USA I know of Wesco, Whites and Nicks and I know of no boot that competes in ruggedness to them. But they are rebuildable.

Hoffman, Danner, Hathorn, Redwing, Chippewa, Carolina and some others have some great american made boots but some may be outsourced. Usually on their website you can search USA made.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Seriously guys? We need a thread on what boots people are wearing while riding!? You aren't walking or running in them, you are sitting on your *** with them. All they gotta do is protect your foot in the unfortunate event you wreck. (Almost said unfortunate event you "go down", but this thread is so damn close to gay "wreck" is a better term to use) Oh, and keep your feet dry in the rain. So you need waterproof, leather boots that cover your ankles. How hard is that!? Go buy a pair of Timberland's at the outlets. Or a pair of Herman's at Wally World. Geezzzz...

Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

boot party looks like a san francisco sausage fest

Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Iron Horse Biker
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who spends a lot of time on your feet or cares what happens to them in almost any dire circumstance, understands the benefit and comfort of a really well-made boot. It's just about covering your feet in the rain or...nevermind, if you don't get it I can't explain. Anyway, there are some terrific brands out there, but Wesco really is a very specific sort of craftsmanship. Every boot is hand made in Scapoose, Washington, on machines that just aren't manufactured anymore. One huge difference is that they are able to actually sew thread (made of Kevlar if you choose) completely through the rubber sole. Nobody else does that. I've had them make several pairs for me the last 15 years (of differing styles, none have come close to wearing out), and after an initial visit to the family-owned factory, where they measured and made an outline of my feet, they kept everything on file and all I need to do is call to order. In rare instances where the boots aren't to your liking, they will make you a new pair, no questions asked. If it sounds like I'm a fan of what they do, you're right. Not many people/corporations take this amount of pride in their work anymore, and the ones who do deserve credit. (Let me add that I do recognize Wesco prices are higher than I would personally like to spend, but I would rather spend more on one pair of boots to keep for 20 years than buy 7 pairs of cheaper ones that will ultimately cost more and be less comfortable.)

Quick Reply: Best Boots--Best Place to Buy