General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lone Star Rally

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 AM
NativeTexican
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really have any plans but might run over for a few hours since it is just down the "Bluewater Highway". Most likey will park bike over at buddies dive shop.

I am looking for a new seat so might see if I can pick one up.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
I have been to most of the Rally's around Texas. And the Lone Star Rally is probably the most "tame" rally of them all. I think it is due to the Rally being basically held in the center of Galveston on the Strand.
It usually doesn't start getting crazy until after sunset and even then it's pretty tame compared to ROT or some of the others.
We usually go for the weekend, visit vendors during the daylight hours, go ride around G-Town, lunch, dinner, maybe a concert then go see the festivities after dark on the strand.
There is a ton of stuff to do and see. The best part of it all for me is being totally surrounded by everything motorcycle. And I don't have to go home for a few days. Last year there were almost 500,000 bikes on the Island for Lone Star Rally.
Everywhere you ride and everything you do, you are doing it with other people just like you, there are bikes everywhere.
And most of the Island businesses are in "Biker" mode. Even upscale restaurants are filled with leather clad bikers where normally you would see only suite and ties. And they are happy to serve them.
It really is the best Rally I have ever been to. May not be the funnest Rally (ROT can be pretty damn entertaining) but definitely the best over all because of where it is.

Rally's like ROT don't have the aura that LSR has. ROT is held in a Huge city (Austin) and are pretty much only welcome with open arms in the area right around the heart of the rally and on 6th street.
Galveston is totally different. The entire city becomes "The Rally" and the whole Island is in on the festivities.
I agree 110%, it's a great Rally, they open up downtown for the Rally, and not some Rodeo Arena or Fair Grounds!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:41 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attend both ROT and Lone Star, but the #1 reason I will always prefer Lone Star over ROT, is that it's free. The people who put on the the ROT are plum crazy with the price they are charging for entry nowadays. I haven't been inside the expo center since 2009, we just go and hang out on 6th and have a great time. It may be a little farther for you guys from Texas, but if you like Lone Star you should check out Thunder Beach in Panama City, FL. It reminds me of Lone Star with the beach setting, and it's all free too. PCB has always been known as a party town for spring breakers, and Thunder Beach is like the spring break for bikers. Accomodations can be had there for a reasonable rate too since both the spring and fall rally are in the "off" season. I think it's even better than Daytona.

Last edited by kajunkruzer; 06-28-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
I attend both ROT and Lone Star, but the #1 reason I will always prefer Lone Star over ROT, is that it's free. The people who put on the the ROT are plum crazy with the price they are charging for entry nowadays. I haven't been inside the expo center since 2009, we just go and hang out on 6th and have a great time. It may be a little farther for you guys from Texas, but if you like Lone Star you should check out Thunder Beach in Panama City, FL. It reminds me of Lone Star with the beach setting, and it's all free too. PCB has always been known as a party town for spring breakers, and Thunder Beach is like the spring break for bikers. Accomodations can be had there for a reasonable rate too since both the spring and fall rally are in the "off" season. I think it's even better than Daytona.
We almost went to Thunder beach a couple years ago. Just didn't pan out with vacation time that year and we haven't talked about it since.
That would be a blast and I see on the website they have 2 Rally's a year, one in May and one in October?
Hell we might try and make the October run if the weather looks good this year!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

We'll be there. Wanted to go last year, had rooms booked and everything and then had to back out. Not this year I hope. Any other hotels recommended?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by rockabillygrl
We'll be there. Wanted to go last year, had rooms booked and everything and then had to back out. Not this year I hope. Any other hotels recommended?
The only ones I would personally stay at are the Tremont House, Hotel Galvez, or Moody Gardens Hotel. All the rest are motels and condo's and too far away for me.
I can tell you the Galvez is almost booked up for that weekend.
The Tremont is smack dab in the middle of the rally, you can literally sit and watch the parade of bikes go by then walk right into the hotel. It was built in 1880's I think and rooms start @ $269 pre-paid, $299 with just a reservation and there is a 3 night minimum at this hotel for that weekend.

Moody Gardens is a 10 minute ride from the rally but it is a nice Hotel with a gigantic tropical pool. When I say big, I mean it is about a football field long with waterfalls.
Moody has no minimum night stay that I am aware of and rooms start @ $209 a night. (This is where we are staying and where we stayed last year)

There are cheaper places to stay but I would not trust my bike sitting in the parking lot at night at those places unless I sleep with one eye open!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
We almost went to Thunder beach a couple years ago. Just didn't pan out with vacation time that year and we haven't talked about it since.
That would be a blast and I see on the website they have 2 Rally's a year, one in May and one in October?
Hell we might try and make the October run if the weather looks good this year!
Yeah, their spring rally is in late April/early May and the fall rally is mid October. I've been to both and they are both a blast, but I prefer the fall rally because it doesn't draw quite as many people as the spring. Like I said, the rally falls during the off season for the beach, so the rates aren't bad. I'm about to book a 2 room condo for $110/night.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
I agree with the prices being Crazy. I steer away from most Rallys that charge a gate fee, especially if it's too high! Nothing burns my *** any more, than to pay an entry fee, and go in to see a rally of vendors!

Bikes Blues and Bar B Q in Fayetteville Ark. is one of my favorite Rallys. No admission charges, a great party, and Fayetteville and all the surronding towns and business's make out like bandits, it's a win-win for everyone involved.

I think if other cities would send a delagation to study the revenue generated by The Lone Star Rally, Bikes Blues and Bar B Q, Thunder Beach, Sturgis you might see a little warming up toward the Revenue possibilities!

Hey, just my $.02

Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Mr512
Intermediate

Booked our rooms and will attend this year! The wife and I are super excited since this will be the first event we attend on the bike. Any must do's or sees while we are there? We are coming in Friday and staying through Sunday. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been every year it has been held in Galveston and the first year before they moved to Galveston. Being less than 40 miles from the house and I enjoy the island any way. We always go but I disagree with the statement that it is free. To park on the Strand or even ride down it cost money during the rally. They have went from no charge to a one time charge to a daily charge. Free parking in Galveston even away from the Strand can be elusive. Still a good rally even though very tame compared to a lot of others. We will most likely follow our usual routine. Tour and shop the vendors the first two week days. Stay for the Friday night and Saturday party. Spend Saturday on the balcony above the crowd. Ride over on Sunday. Girlfriend does last minute shopping while I catnap laying on the bike.

Quick Reply: Lone Star Rally