General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lone Star Rally

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Been every year it has been held in Galveston and the first year before they moved to Galveston. Being less than 40 miles from the house and I enjoy the island any way. We always go but I disagree with the statement that it is free. To park on the Strand or even ride down it cost money during the rally. They have went from no charge to a one time charge to a daily charge. Free parking in Galveston even away from the Strand can be elusive. Still a good rally even though very tame compared to a lot of others. We will most likely follow our usual routine. Tour and shop the vendors the first two week days. Stay for the Friday night and Saturday party. Spend Saturday on the balcony above the crowd. Ride over on Sunday. Girlfriend does last minute shopping while I catnap laying on the bike.
That is false. It cost ZERO to ride down the strand. It cost ZERO to park around the Strand. The only place it cost anything, is in one of the "pay to park" lots around the strand.
I go almost every year and while it can be tough to find a parking spot sometimes, I have always found one and never have I payed to park or to enter the strand.

You might be a little more picky on parking spots or you might not try hard enough to find one, I don't know but it has never cost me a penny to go to the rally.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:34 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

We've parked along Harborside Dr. between the vendor lots and what I think is the cruise terminal the last couple of years and never had to pay a dime. Also parked on 26th street twice last year for free. I've never actually ridden down the Strand so I can't say anything about charges for that. Regardless, it's sort of close to home and the weather is perfect, so I'm a fan.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
We've parked along Harborside Dr. between the vendor lots and what I think is the cruise terminal the last couple of years and never had to pay a dime. Also parked on 26th street twice last year for free. I've never actually ridden down the Strand so I can't say anything about charges for that. Regardless, it's sort of close to home and the weather is perfect, so I'm a fan.
We usually park in the grassy area right before the vendor areas on the left (cruise terminal) side. Or just past the vendor area on the sidewalk.

Funny story, last year we got there a little late and it was packed. If you know the area I am talking about, right before the parking lot where the vendors start, there is a grassy area with a grass covered dirt mound. Know the spot?
Ok, so there is a tight path between bikes parked in front of that hill but the area behind the hill is empty and plenty of parking.
So my buddy goes first, hits the hill fast and goes right over and down the other side.
My turn now and I have my wife on the back. I hit the hill fast and high center the bike on the top of the hill then bury the rear wheel trying to climb off, I am stuck!
It took me, my buddy and another guy to dislodge the bike off that damn hill!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
We usually park in the grassy area right before the vendor areas on the left (cruise terminal) side. Or just past the vendor area on the sidewalk.

Funny story, last year we got there a little late and it was packed. If you know the area I am talking about, right before the parking lot where the vendors start, there is a grassy area with a grass covered dirt mound. Know the spot?
Ok, so there is a tight path between bikes parked in front of that hill but the area behind the hill is empty and plenty of parking.
So my buddy goes first, hits the hill fast and goes right over and down the other side.
My turn now and I have my wife on the back. I hit the hill fast and high center the bike on the top of the hill then bury the rear wheel trying to climb off, I am stuck!
It took me, my buddy and another guy to dislodge the bike off that damn hill!
I think I know where you are talking about. Usually everyone parks at the curb and leaves a lot of open grass behind them so they don't get blocked in. If people would park with some common sense it would make things a lot easier. Last year on the Friday we actually parked in the cruise terminal itself where the buses unload. They did a crappy job of blocking the pedestrian entrance at the end of 25th St., so we just followed a huge group of bikes in. Before we knew it, there were at least a hundred bikes parked in there. Luckily, we didn't get towed.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:13 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
I think I know where you are talking about. Usually everyone parks at the curb and leaves a lot of open grass behind them so they don't get blocked in. If people would park with some common sense it would make things a lot easier. Last year on the Friday we actually parked in the cruise terminal itself where the buses unload. They did a crappy job of blocking the pedestrian entrance at the end of 25th St., so we just followed a huge group of bikes in. Before we knew it, there were at least a hundred bikes parked in there. Luckily, we didn't get towed.
I know exactly where your bike was. I saw a lot of bikes in there before we climbed that hill. There was a female security guard close to the fence that separates where we parked and the cruise terminal lot.
I parked along the curb and asked her where the entrance to that lot was and she said we could not park there. I just thought they were vendor bikes, people who work there?
that's funny you guys got in there........lol

But you know, in all the years I been there, I have never heard of or seen any bikes getting towed even though we all know they are clearly some of them parked where they are not suppose to be. But no one gets jacked with.
It is by far the friendliest rally I have ever been to as far as the local law enforcement goes.
Now actually getting to the rally is a different story. Those *** holes are just waiting for you to screw up on the highways around there!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't free if I have to pay to ride down the Strand or park on the Strand. They charged a fee everyday to park on the Strand. The year before one fee, one sticker, park on the Strand everyday. Last year a fee for everyday. They didn't do that the first year it was in Galveston. We were there then. They split things up one year and put some of the vendors on the seawall one year. Hurricane messed up the dates another year. Either the next year or the year after they started charging to park on the Strand. I have went every year including the first year it wasn't held there. They were turning the bikes out last year and not letting them ride down the Strand on Thursday without a sticker. I was there on Thursday. I seen it. I wasn't told it. I can't vouch for Friday because we parked at a friends. Saturday we drove the jeep because you can't pack too many beads on the bike. I payed to park the jeep. Sunday we parked by the railroad museum for free but didn't ride down the Strand.

Last edited by oldairboater; 07-26-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:33 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double posted.

Last edited by oldairboater; 07-26-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
It isn't free if I have to pay to ride down the Strand or park on the Strand. They charged a fee everyday to park on the Strand. The year before one fee, one sticker, park on the Strand everyday. Last year a fee for everyday. They didn't do that the first year it was in Galveston. We were there then. They split things up one year and put some of the vendors on the seawall one year. Hurricane messed up the dates another year. Either the next year or the year after they started charging to park on the Strand. I have went every year including the first year it wasn't held there. They were turning the bikes out last year and not letting them ride down the Strand on Thursday without a sticker. I was there on Thursday. I seen it. I wasn't told it. I can't vouch for Friday because we parked at a friends. Saturday we drove the jeep because you can't pack too many beads on the bike. I payed to park the jeep. Sunday we parked by the railroad museum for free but didn't ride down the Strand.
Ok, I misunderstood you. You are talking about parking along the street on the strand.
I like to move around a lot and no way would I leave my bike parked there with all those people walking between the bikes. Plus they park them 3 and 4 deep in places so your screwed when you want to leave.

I usually park somewhere on Harborside Drive and always in a spot where I know I can't get blocked in.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Mr512
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be our first time visiting, any must do's and don'ts? Thanks guys.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 AM
bygcland
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't speed... Don't burn out... Do have fun!

Quick Reply: Lone Star Rally