General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interstate 75, North KY, South OH

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Interstate 75, North KY, South OH

Fellow riders in the Northern Kentucky, Southern Ohio area who ride or drive the I-75 corridor; I have a question.

How are the roads these days?

I haven't been through there in over a year and at that time there were potholes that would almost swallow a small car! Even seen a Silverado 4x4 blow out a tire hitting one. Last thing I want to do is hit one of those monsters on a bike!

Wife and I are headed to Cincinnati in about 7 weeks and we will be on I-75 part of the way. Most interested in between Lexington and Dayton, plus I-275 on the east side of Cincy. We're staying just off of I-275 in Milford but will go up to Dayton one day to visit family.

All info is greately appreciated!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went thru there on Friday, went to Columbus from Lexington in the morning and back home that evening

The roads are fine, no construction in KY anymore and smooth as far as I can remember....at least until you cross the river into Cincinnati.

I have also gone east on 271 fairly regularly on my way to Indy, don't see a problem there either.

There is construction between Cincinnati and Dayton so I can not give you any details there

You should be good to go

Last edited by strongwood; 07-03-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:19 PM
ixlr8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major work in the south bound KY/TN area

When you return south plan around this:

http://511.ky.gov/kylb/roadreports/r...&route=21%3A87

and this site for some info, scroll up and down the interstate for symbols.

http://www.i75highway.com/i-75-traffic/cincinnati.html

There has been a lot of upgrading, adding lanes, etc., north and south of Lexington but I avoid central Kentucky so I can't tell you much. A call to the state police might get you some info, everyone calls them when the snow falls.

I'm sorry I can't offer more but in my life I've never seen it without some sort of repair or need of repair or some cluster****/car wreck whatever.

For what this is worth, the only time I ever had a CB radio on a bike was when living in Maryland with a GL1800. I-95 is guaranteed stopage time between Fredricksburg and Baltimore. Just listening to the truckers (what a demented lot they are) one can get an idea where to get off and back on to avoid whatever has the traffic backed up. If you have one it might help, if you don't have one, don't rush out and buy one. I only found it useful one time even though I got held up on I-95 countless times.

Route 25 will get you through Kentucky, 25/42 from Florence, KY into Ohio and 741 into Dayton, all parallel I-75 for an alternate route if things get ugly.

As for monster holes, keep far back to see them in time and watch for the smart ones swerving.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM
barnyard
Ultimate HDF Member

You're good from Lexington to the river, but I haven't been through Cincinnati on 75 in some time. I use 75 north several times a week between Dry Ridge and Florence.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

the last time I rode from dayton to cincy down I-75 it was torn all to hell. made the ride a bit challenging

Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
the last time I rode from dayton to cincy down I-75 it was torn all to hell. made the ride a bit challenging
I can't remember when I-75 wasn't torn to hell between Dayton and Cincy.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain

It is bad between Cincy and Dayton. Be careful. I don't understand how they get away with ripping the road up that bad. Got back from Tennessee a few weeks ago.
Worst roads by far were between Dayton and Cincy.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks to all for the info!

That damn roadwork between Cincy and Dayton has been going on forever! About as bad as Atlanta.

For several years I spent a great deal of my time for work in NE Cincy. Usually drove up because of lugging around tools, etc. On one of these drives, early March 2010, I was just south of Florence KY in unusually heavy traffic for that time of the day. There were semi's on my right and another in front of me. Add a line of cars to the left and there was nowhere to go when a pothole appeared that covered almost all of my lane and part of the one next to it.

Tried to miss it but with traffic, I couldn't get into either lane beside me. Managed to nail the hole with both left tires and it bent the **** out of the front left wheel!

I make it over to the right shoulder and realized two guys behind me in a Ford 4x4 were not so lucky. They hit the hole also and it had taken out BOTH tires on their right side.

They helped me get the spare on and I gave them a ride. All I could think was if someone on a bike hit this pothole, there's a good chance they would be dead!

One of the guys called someone to report the hole and was told several cars had been damaged over the past 24 hours!

Last edited by Lilman; 07-04-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Construction has been going on up there for many years just think what a PITA it will be when they start rebuilding the Bridge, Oh Boy!! Have a safe trip

Old 07-04-2012, 05:54 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by strongwood
Just went thru there on Friday, went to Columbus from Lexington in the morning and back home that evening

The roads are fine, no construction in KY anymore and smooth as far as I can remember....at least until you cross the river into Cincinnati.
About how I remember it too. Something is always under construction within a few miles either side of the river and especially on the Cinci side, but never a major problem with potholes that I've seen.

Quick Reply: Interstate 75, North KY, South OH