General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another great dealer is closing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another great dealer is closing.

I got this email from the Fletcher's H.O.G. chapter. The second sad day in Fletcher's recent history.

Members, all;

I want to share the following press release with you all before the message gets blurred and modified beyond recognition:

Clearwater, Florida (07/11/2012) - Fletcher's Harley-Davidson, Clearwater, Florida announced today that it will close its store after 48 years in business. Co-owners, Laura Fletcher, Peggy McFarland, and Sherry Conder, say "they would like to thank their loyal employees and customers for the best years of their lives while operating Fletcher's Harley-Davidson."

Leaving the Harley-Davidson family has been a tough decision as many of our employees and customers are considered extended family members. In light of recent events with the passing of our father, Bob Fletcher, we feel that it is time for us to follow his outlook on life and "Live Life to the Fullest" says Laura Fletcher, President and General Manager, Fletcher's Harley-Davidson.

Fletcher's Harley-Davidson opened in 1964. It was founded by Bob Fletcher and currently is owned and operated by his three daughters, who say they are ready to explore new adventures and opportunities.

"We look forward to sharing the open road with our customers and wish them many good rides in the future. We have enjoyed being a part of the Harley-Davidson family for the last 48 years and will continue to be Harley-Davidson enthusiasts" said Peggy McFarland, Vice President, Fletcher's Harley-Davidson.

Fletcher's Harley-Davidson will cease operating as a Harley-Davidson dealership on July 31, 2012 and encourages its customers to visit one of the neighboring dealerships for their motorcycling needs.

Customers can find other nearby dealers by using the Dealer Locator tool at www.harley-davidson.com.

In light of the above, there will be many questions that I cannot yet answer. I can say that the chili cook-off and game night activities are still ON and we hope that many of you will join us and bring along some ideas for future activities we can continue to enjoy on our Harleys. Be assured our officers will get together over the next few days to put together a plan that is compliant with HOG rules and maximizes the benefit to our members and our community.

Stay tuned...

EEK

Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The leader of a family business passes and the kids want to cash out and live large. Happens all the time.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:17 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The leader of a family business passes and the kids want to cash out and live large. Happens all the time.
My Thoughts Exactly .. Bought my First Sportster there in 1970 .. Shame that a place like this closes their doors had many loyal customers there that don't mean squat now that Bob has passed ..

Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Well, if they aren't competent to run the business probably better off. I have a friend who wants to retire, but can't because his kids are clueless. Sometimes better off telling your kids to get their own careers, and sell business to someone else before you die.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Too bad I always was treated good at that place.Way of life unfortunately.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I think the road construction was a major nail in their coffin. I stopped in there last year and it took a special act of will to get around the strangely spaced sections of construction. The very slow pace of the construction did not help either....

Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Sonnythebull
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cash out what? They said they are CLOSING

Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Sad. My first thought was poor Artie.
Bob probably left enough $$$ for the Girls to retire and leave the rat race.
With 19 constantly being torn up,and the economy I can't say I blame them.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob turned the business over to the girls a few years ago. They were running it very well. Everyone working there was happy.

Just came from Fletcher's and the mood is very somber. It feels like Fletcher's H-D died. It did.

Fletcher's has a great bunch of employees. I feel bad for all of them.

Last edited by Black_Hog; 07-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Yep closing not selling. Makes you wonder.

Quick Reply: Another great dealer is closing.