General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN ER on HD speedo/tach combo

Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
ORSalesRep
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN ER on HD speedo/tach combo

Hi all,

Last summer I successfully installed the HD speedo/tach combo p/n 70900070. I used the data link cable and downloaded the mileage and everything was working fine on my 09 Fatboy with the Zipper's Thundermax Autotuner. Today I was doing some work on the bike and wanted to follow zippers instructions to restore the Distance to Empty feature by following their instructions. Which I have pasted below. Now every time I turn on the run switch and ignition, an error "v in er" appears in the diaplay of the speedometer and it won't go away. Is there a way to clear this error? I have already tried repeating the steps, disconnecting the battery, etc. The error displays with either the Thumdermax connected or the original ECM. Here are the steps I followed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

NOTES: The RUN switch (handlebar / rocker switch) must remain in the ON position for this entire procedure. During this process, you’ll have the opportunity to apply dielectric grease to the 36-pin ECM connector, if not already applied. Use of this conductive grease is highly recommended. Turn ON both the RUN (rocker) switch and the MAIN KEY switch (ignition switch) to begin. 1. Pull the “MAIN” Maxi fuse. 2. Temporarily disconnect the TMax module from the main harness connector. 3. Connect the Stock ECM. 4. Hold the “trip” button down while re-installing the main fuse. 5. Speedometer should light up and appear as though it is locked up. 6. Release the “trip” button and turn the main key switch “OFF “. 7. Turn the main key switch on then, using the trip button, verify “R LO” is displayed in the odometer window when cycling through the options. 8. Turn ONLY the main key / ignition switch “OFF”. 9. Remove the ECM fuse, re-connect the TMax module and replace the ECM fuse. DO NOT PULL THE MAIN FUSE FOR THIS PROCESS. 10. Turn the main key switch on. If “R LO” does not appear repeat the process. 11. Re-initialize the ECM by cycling the main key switch on 30 seconds / off 30 seconds, 3 times. 12. Range should start working in roughly 50 miles; you will need to use a tank of fuel to normalize reading.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Something is telling the speedo its in the wrong bike...Vin doesn't match whats in the speedo memory. When first installed in the bike you have 50 miles then it becomes locked to the vin and you get this error if installed in another bike....Sorry that's all I have...either the instruction are wrong or they were entered wrong.

How about contacting HD and see it there is a master rest code.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Ohio Fat Bob
Stage IV

I had the same problem on my 11 Fat Bob. Stopped to get gas, when I started the bike the speedo displays Vin Er.

I have the ThunderMax with Autotune ECU. The bike has 3,600 miles with this speedo/tach combo installed.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Ohio Fat Bob
Stage IV

So I figured it out today. I know it's long but it worked!

If you have observed a new or unusual performance anomaly with your ThunderMax equipped motorcycle, there is a possibility that the module firmware or map has become corrupt. Module firmware or map corruption can occur during ThunderMax installation or operation of the motorcycle, when there is a surge or spike in power voltage.
The following procedure should be performed to determine if additional troubleshooting is required. This process will fully re-program the ThunderMax ECM and clear any learned changes the system has stored. Our experience has shown that this “clean sheet” approach will resolve many performance anomalies related to the ThunderMax system on a motorcycle.
To perform this process, you must have the most current software version installed on your computer, and the latest firmware file downloaded into the software. You will need an internet connection to update the software and download the firmware.
Please Note: Use of a computer with strained resources or insufficient free memory will increase the possibility of data corruption when communicating with the ThunderMax ECM. It is the responsibility of the user to ensure that the computer used for map loading, map adjustment or firmware installation meets the minimum system requirements.
First, confirm that you have the latest software version. From the toolbar, click Configure > SmartLink Update or TMaxI Software Update > Check. The system will inform you if a later version is available. If so, download and install the software update by following the on-screen prompts.
Second, verify that you have the latest firmware stored within your ThunderMax software for transfer to your module. Follow these steps: Click Configure on the toolbar, then Firmware > Check for Firmware Upgrade. Highlight the firmware file with most recent date and click OK. The firmware file will be downloaded.
Third, Update your base maps library by clicking from the main toolbar EFI Maps > EFI Map Listings / Definitions. Close the Base Map Definitions window and select Check Internet for Updates from the next window. If new base maps are found, follow the prompts to download.

You are now ready to refresh the firmware and module map in your ThunderMax module. An Internet connection is not required for this task. You must be linked to the module to perform these steps. Close any open programs on your computer except for your ThunderMax software. If any of these processes are interrupted for any reason, start over at Step 1.
Step 1. Make a note of any Diagnostic Trouble Codes & then Clear the codes. From the Tuning Maps Tree, click Module Configuration > Diagnostic Codes > Clear Diagnostic Codes.
NOTE: For motorcycles with cable operated throttle, it is normal to see a code counting for EGO Front & EGO Rear when the engine is NOT running.
Step 2. Load the latest version of firmware to your module. From the main toolbar, click Configure > Firmware > Upgrade Module Firmware Now (follow the prompts exactly).
Step 3. Install the correct Base Map from the software (see tuning manual for further instructions to choose the correct map).
1. Go to “EFI Maps” in the Main Tool Bar, then click “EFI Map Listings and Definitions”. 2. To locate the closest matching Base Map, sort by Map element specifics using the right click
function of your mouse (see installation instructions located in “Help” menu).
3. Select the desired map by double clicking anywhere on the base map definition line.
4. Select “Load Base Map” from the Base Map Name Encoding window.
5. On your motorcycle, turn the Run switch and the Ignition switch to the “On” position.
6. In the Main Tool Bar, go to “Map Editing” and then “Write Module Maps and Settings”.
7. Go to “Map Editing”, then “Clear Learned Idle Control Adjustments”.
This step does not apply to Throttle-By-Wire systems.
8. In the “Tuning Maps” tree, go to “Module Configuration” and then “Basic Settings” to confirm the correct Speedo-Cal value for your year and model motorcycle.
Initializing the Module
For ThunderMax Systems on Motorcycles with Cable-Throttle Control
1. With the Run switch in “On” position, cycle the Ignition switch 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off - 3 times.
2. Start the engine. Allow the engine to warm up to operating temperature, without touching throttle (around 250 degrees).
http://*******/HBZOyB
Click above to watch the video on-line!

Then I had to do this procedure:

Restoring the Distance to Empty Feature (R Lo)
for 2008-Up Softail & Dyna Models (Cable Throttle) v.12032010
NOTES: The RUN switch (handlebar / rocker switch) must remain in the ON position for this entire procedure. During this process, you’ll have the opportunity to apply dielectric grease to the 36-pin ECM connector, if not already applied. Use of this conductive grease is highly recommended.
Turn ON both the RUN (rocker) switch and the MAIN KEY switch (ignition switch) to begin.
1. Pull the “MAIN” Maxi fuse.
2. Temporarily disconnect the TMax module from the main harness connector.
3. Connect the Stock ECM.
4. Hold the “trip” button down while re-installing the main fuse.
5. Speedometer should light up and appear as though it is locked up.
6. Release the “trip” button and turn the main key switch “OFF “.
7. Turn the main key switch on then, using the trip button, verify “R LO” is displayed
in the odometer window when cycling through the options.
8. Turn ONLY the main key / ignition switch “OFF”.
9. Remove the ECM fuse, re-connect the TMax module and replace the ECM fuse.
DO NOT PULL THE MAIN FUSE FOR THIS PROCESS.
10. Turn the main key switch on. If “R LO” does not appear repeat the process.
11. Re-initialize the ECM by cycling the main key switch on 30 seconds / off 30
seconds, 3 times.
12. Range should start working in roughly 50 miles; you will need to use a tank of fuel to normalize reading.

All this info was found on the Thundermax web site. The gear indicator even works now.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2010 Dyna Wide Glide. I tried Ohio Fat Bob's procedure but it didn't work for me.

What finally worked was as follows:

Download and install the latest Software AND Firmware version for the Thundermax.

Link to the ECM and open the Basic Configuration, then open Service Data.

Enter your VIN number into the service data and click OK.

Unplug the Tach/Speedo from the harness and plug it back in.

Cycle the power to confirm that the VIN ERR is cleared.

I believe this will be a permanent fix, because the VIN data (that the Tach/Speedo checks for) is now stored in the Thundermax ECM.

Dennis