General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shout out to Allen at MeanCityCyles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 AM
TinFoilHat
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shout out to Allen at MeanCityCyles!

I upgraded from a 99 Softail to an ’07 RKC. Hated the stock seat almost as much as I hated the Softail seat. I’d tried both Mustang and Corbin seats on the old bike, and even though they were better than stock, I wasn’t thrilled with either of them. I found this site in early 07 when I was researching the clatter and heat issues on the 07’s (neither if which bothered me much by the way), and remember seeing something about a guy who did seat mods.

So I sent a message to Allen explaining what I was shooting for. 1 inch memory foam with a tad of lowering. Allen was always prompt in his response. Got a loaner seat from a Bro, sent my seat off to MeanCityCycles. 3 weeks, $100 for the mod and $20 shipping each direction. What a difference. Once I get those sucky bars swapped out I should be set!

If you hate the stock seat (don’t we all?), but don’t necessarily want a different look, Allen and his crew are up to the task.

Oh, and thanks to all the knowledgeable folks on this site for all the valuable information they provide (once you wade thru the “what’s your favorite dog?” posts).

Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 AM
mchildree
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shout out to Allen at MeanCityCyles!

Gotta agree. Just did a little business with Allen on some handlebars that, unfortunately, didn't turn out to be what I needed. He was super-good about the whole thing and offered a quick refund. I'd do biz again with him any time.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:56 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the feel of the seat mods Allen did but I'm not impressed with the fact that several of his staples were already tearing the leather when I got the seat back to me. Also wasn't very impressed by the lack of any paperwork that came back with the seat...no receipt, no guarantee, no thank you, nothing.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
pitbulldog
Road Captain

I also wasn't very happy with the work done by Mean City Cycles, my seat came back with the cover on crooked. In his defense, he did pay for the shipping to send the seat back for him to fix it. I ended up replacing the seat, the modifications didn't fix the discomfort, just moved it to a different location. From other members feedback, it seems he's done a lot of work that people have been happy with. It just didn't work out well for me.....

Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
StillMisterSlim
Intermediate

I sent my 06 deluxe seat into Allen a week ago. Should haveit back in another week or so. Will give you my impressions.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:24 PM
FKNDLX
Banned

Let me know how it all works out, I only use the stock seat when we are 2 up, did it in Gburg last week and my body hurts from it, Allen is local to me so u can just drop it off.

ORIGINAL: StillMisterSlim

I sent my 06 deluxe seat into Allen a week ago. Should have it back in another week or so. Will give you my impressions.
As far as the two complaints, they are the only two I have heard,Allen is 2 weeks out on seats and it takes like an hour foreach seat so he is doing some volume, I think if your not happy you shouldallow him the opportunity to make it more to your liking, also keep in mind he is not reinventing the seat, just making it allot better than, for what it's worth astock seat.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:03 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

I sent my seat to him, it came out great. I would recommend him again.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

ORIGINAL: MiniMe

I sent my seat to him, it came out great. I would recommend him again.
Same here, loving my seat.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Cognizant
Tourer

He must be real busy this month: I talked to him yesterday about my FXSTseat, he's had it two days and hasn't even opened the box yet, said the turn-around is three weeks now. Fortunatly I'm not in a hurry, just hope he can fix it up the way I want it.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He will actually schedule your seat now. Mine is set for August 1. My motor is being built next month so if it takes a couple of weeks, that is fine with me. I am looking forward to the new seat (and the new motor, too).