General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will The Water Cooled Be An All New Design?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Will The Water Cooled Be An All New Design?

I'm just throwing this out to see what you think HD is, or should be, developing? So assuming there is a liquid cooled Touring Harley in the near future, do you think it'll be a modified version of the current engine perhaps with water-cooled heads? Or does the company use the opportunity to design a new motorcycle from the ground up? I can see advantages either way.

Modified liquid-cooled head version of current engine would be relatively easy and quick to do w/o a huge investment. It keeps the current Touring line, which is selling well, intact. Should allow for a bit more HP and be able to meet the various upcoming emissions requirements for the future. It's not the ultimate answer but it could buy them time until an all new chassis and engine is developed.

Or do they bypass that investment of money and time, instead committing even more resources to develop an all new modern touring line? Starting with a clean sheet the engineers could end up with a lighter motorcycle that is stiffer, has even more power, better handling, better long term durability, and easier maintenance for things like drive belt replacement, oil filter access, etc. This new Tourer would hopefully leapfrog the competition and the platform would carry HD into the future for many years.

What would you do if you were in charge of the company?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Zelrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm of the opinion that Harley already has a big twin design ready to meet the upcoming epa mandates. They are just trying to get as much time out of the current engine as possible.

I have no idea if they will be liquid cooled or air/oil cooled. But I can't imagine that they are sitting on their collective ***** not looking to the future.

What surprises me is that no aftermarket firm has toyed with liquid cooling.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I suspect HD will do everything they can to keep the look and feel of the current line.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:49 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

They already have a design. The V-Rod engine

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Zelrick
Cruiser

V-rod is liquid cooled but not designed for a touring bike. Touring bikes need torque at low rpm. They could make a larger displacement revolution engine and set set it up for torque. However, I don't think we'll see that. Harley relies too much on the traditional look of the engine so I would bet that the next big twin will carry on the look, 45° V or very close and still some amount of fins on the heads (like the V-rod). Separate transmission and so on.

The only thing I hope the change with the next incarnation is making the primary case a little narrower.

They can liquid cool an engine and get away with it if needed, the " I won't own a liquid cooled Harley" crowd isn't as big as the forums would make you think.

As has been stated numerous times other manufacturers have made the switch successfully and not had a mass exadous.

On that note it make me laugh when I see people claim that liquid or oil cooling will make the bikes over complicated. We have been liquid cooling engines for a long Time and its not complicated.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
..... do you think it'll be a modified version of the current engine perhaps with water-cooled heads? Or does the company use the opportunity to design a new motorcycle from the ground up?
....... i assume you've seen the patent application that's been posted here in the forums a couple times ...... liquid cooled heads w/coils in the lowers ?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys seen the fan/horn combo that mounts where the stock horn would be. It's supposed to be based on racing brake cooling fans and is supposed to sharply reduce temps by forcing air over the cylinder heads. They are somewhat expensive but don't look too bad. I'm wondering if Harley couldn't use a similar technology to lean the AFR out even more to retain EPA compliance with something that wouldn't significantly alter the look of the bike. It would be one way for Harley to continue to make their signature air cooled engine for at least a few more years.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 AM
DustyJones
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
Have you guys seen the fan/horn combo that mounts where the stock horn would be.
You talking about a parade fan?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 AM
NevadaNick
Cruiser

Virtually every automobile including diesel (Cummins currently being the exception) has gone to small displacement high rpm engines to meet emmissions. With emmissions getting tougher for motorcycles I see them to follow suit. It's a changing world.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Several years ago Harley Davidson designed a liquid cooled V4 engine to compete with BMW, Honda and the other sport touring bike lines. Then shelved it. They made two prototypes. They want to build what people want to buy. But they have the capability whenever they decide to quit fighting the laws of physics.

Quick Reply: Will The Water Cooled Be An All New Design?