General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you acknowledge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 AM
2 Wheels Up
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you acknowledge?

Some call it a wave or an acknowledgement when 2 riders pass each other. Seems like more riders are just riding and getting away from this.
I do see Harley's to Harley's not not others. I'll acknowledge to anyone who waves back.

What do you do?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,750 Likes on 6,195 Posts

I hold out a cookie. You're supposed to ****** it as you go by. Did you miss it? More for me.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 AM
71FLH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh oh!!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
rockerZ71
Advanced

I always wave

Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously... there must be four of these threads always going at a time.

That said, this is too hard to pass up...

"I'll acknowledge to anyone who waves back."
Doesn't someone have to initiate the low wave for someone else to "acknowledge" it... ???

I'm over 40 so I can't read minds anymore and now I'll be darned if I know know who may or may not acknowledge my low wave; it's truly a quandary.

Last edited by FXD_TG; 08-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:56 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Another waving thread!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 AM
LynnSG
Road Captain

Oh hell !!!!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Anything with two wheels or one headlight, including cars with a light out.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait, wait... I have a new angle!!

Did you know that this is also a burning issue with cyclists??!!! And, as a cyclist and motorcyclist I'm here to tell you that the ratio of "waves not offered or returned" in the cycling community is easily 10x higher than it is with the motorcycling community.

Seriously, you want to talk about tribal mentality and self-absorbed asshats, Harley's and motorcycles have a long way to go to catch up to cyclists.

------------------------------------------
The Wave (From a cyclist's blog)

Not too long ago, I was reminded of a particularly special rite of the cycling world: the cyclist-to-cyclist wave. In our fast-paced, frenzied, commercial, high-tech world, sometimes things can seem a little impersonal, a little unfriendly. Once again, cycling comes to our cultural rescue!

I'm sure we've all felt the heartwarming glow that results from the brief interaction that is the cyclist-to-cyclist wave: two cyclists pedal down their respective bike lanes heading in opposite directions, brief eye contact is made, the distance separating the two is bridged with a quick smile of recognition, a friendly wave, and the two have passed each other by, each going their separate ways but now much happier for having participated in the hallowed ritual.

Sadly, this tradition has begun to disintegrate. All too often, I notice cyclists performing the cyclist-to-cyclist wave discriminatorily. Fixie-riding hipsters only give super-hip waves of acknowledgment to their like-minded counterparts, spandex-clad roadies turn the cold shoulder to those lacking the form-fitting fabric, hardcore downhillers stoke only on other bombers, and so on. Fortunately, there are still a solid core of cyclists of all styles who gladly and cheerfully wave to any and all bicycle-riders, and it is precisely this equal-opportunity waving that needs to again find its way to roads, trails, and bike lanes around the bike-pedaling world!

Just recently, the decreasing frequency of the cyclist-to-cyclist wave was brought home to me in a particularly harsh manner as I found myself the guilty perpetrator failing to wave. While pedaling north on Folsom, another biker passed me heading south. We spotted each other, he waved, and before I knew what was going on, we had passed each other forever. I had failed to reciprocate his bikerly kindness. Struck by my own complicity in the deterioration of the cyclist-to-cyclist wave, I vowed to never again fail in my duties of pedal-driven positivity!
(If this doesn't kill this thread I don't know what will and what does it say about you if you read this far!! )

Last edited by FXD_TG; 08-07-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

I wave at Jap bikes, I wave at scooters, I wave at people sitting on their porch or walking their dogs......I'm just a happy guy.

Last edited by Dooley; 08-07-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you acknowledge?