General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell Custom 500 helmet info request

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bell Custom 500 helmet info request

I am thinking about getting a 3/4 helmet. I like the look of the bell 500 helmets. Wondering if anyone can give me any feedback, good or bad.

I'm seriously thinking about picking one up.
I do have a Bell Drifter 1/2 helmet and like the quality of it. I am assuming the custom 500 will be of equally good quality.

I've never had a 3/4 helmet, so this will be a new experience.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started wearing a 3/4 helmet this year and actually prefer it.
Less wind resistance (pull) as I go at highway speeds and it muffles the sound so my loud *** pipes aren't a constant blast in my ears at lower speeds.

Only down side is that it is warmer than a half helmet in summer.

Make sure you fit the Bell 500 before you pull the trigger.
I tried one on and it felt like a square hat on my head. The Biltwell Hustler fit me the best. Fulmer is a good fit for me too, but tighter at the cheeks and ears...so slipping it on is literally a pain.

I own 2 black Biltwell's and a Fulmer Aparition. My HD 1/2 took a hit in my crash and it isn't getting replaced.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is a Bell Custom 500 and a Fulmer V2. The Fulmer is an XXL and the Bell is an XL. They both weigh about the same and both are comfortable for me. The Fulmer is a bit more snug and sits lower on my head while the Bell is not as snug and doesn't come down as far on my head. The Fulmer is quieter than the Bell and my V&H pipes are a bit louder when I have the Bell on but not enough difference for it to be a deal breaker. I do find myself reaching more for the Bell than the Fulmer when getting ready to ride but I like them both.

Attached Thumbnails Bell Custom 500 helmet info request-helmets1.jpg   Bell Custom 500 helmet info request-helmets.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Possumface
Cruiser

love the bell 500 got a white one and fits great and so 70s

Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 AM
piggy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bell 500 silver flake, to match my bike, NO complaints. Retro looks and fair cost.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been riding with my Bell 500 for about a year now. It's a great helmet, comfortable and light. My only issue is it lifts a little above 70mph. It is about an inch difference once it settles but until it does (settle) it's somewhat annoying. However, I was on the smaller end of the medium size range and probably should've picked up a small. I will most likely buy another one when the time comes for replacement. I know that lots of people also like the Biltwell Hustler and the Lick's Nov Dot.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I've a had a few 3/4 helmets in the past few years. None was as comfy as the Bell 500 I got about 18 months ago. It also reminds me of the orange Bell I got for my first helmet in 1969. Since everybody has a different shaped head, your results may vary.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a $300 Shoei and the Bell 500. I almost always wear the Bell. It is lighter albeit noisier. It gets less wind buffeting due to the shape.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the Bell 500. I have a 3/4 helmet (along with a 1/2 and three full face) and while on the Harley I prefer the 3/4 over the half. I ride many miles on the freeway daily and the 1/2 is great around town but at speed the 3/4 helm pulls less on the head/neck and is much quieter. Really cuts down on the wind noise.

My wife likes the Bell 500 too. I think she saw one that had the 'wildfire' graphics or something. She dug it.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:32 PM
mjrobinson
Cruiser

I have a drifter and the 500. The 500 is the best helmet I have ever had. If you order the same size as the Drifter, you should be ok. I've tried on a few other 3/4's and have not been as impressed with the fit ,weight of them.

Quick Reply: Bell Custom 500 helmet info request