General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 vs. 103 engines??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 PM
LDB415
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 vs. 103 engines??

It occurred to me the question of a 96 vs a 103 could apply outside the realm of Softails so I'm asking here where more may see and reply. I'm looking at a 2011 FLSTC at the dealer with 15,225 miles on it. It has V&H BSL pipes, stage 1 intake, some kind of tuner plus several smaller extras like a windshield bag, small luggage rack, ISO-grips and a few covers etc. on it. They are asking $17,100 for it plus TTL etc.. The bike was bought new from them and all work and add ons were done in their shop.

My riding style is casual for want of a better term. My hero is the tortoise not the hare. I doubt I would ride over the speed limit more than 0.00173% of the time. Most of the time I'd likely be a few mph below the speed limit. I want to see the ride. That's a big part of it to me. That's much better and easier done riding casually.

So, that said, you guys with lots more FLSTC experience than I, how does that bike sound and what would be a reasonable offer on it? How does the 96 compare to the 103? With those pipes and intake and tuner am I likely to get better or worse than stock fuel mpg or be basically the same? What else should I know about or look into or be wary of? Thanks for any and all input on this.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Dilemma
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are asking $17,100
In my humble opinion, that's a bit much for an '11 with 15,225 miles. You can find a TON of examples for that kind of coin with WAY less miles.

As for the 103 vs 96? Very little difference from my limited comparisons.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Romark
Road Master

My opinion is if both the 96 and 103 are stock compression & stock cams, for my riding style, which sounds like the way you ride as well, I dont think you will notice the difference.

Before this week my bike was a stock 96" with Reinhart 2-2 pipes with an S&S air cleaner and the dealer download. It ran well and got 50 mpg on the highway.

Just this week I had 103" cylinders, high compression pistons, SE 255 cams and a tuner all installed. There is a pronounced difference over what I had. Still breaking it in so I am trying to baby it but I can already tell the engine is much stronger.

I predict the mileage I am getting from my back tire will be cut in half.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB415
It occurred to me the question of a 96 vs a 103 could apply outside the realm of Softails so I'm asking here where more may see and reply. I'm looking at a 2011 FLSTC at the dealer with 15,225 miles on it. It has V&H BSL pipes, stage 1 intake, some kind of tuner plus several smaller extras like a windshield bag, small luggage rack, ISO-grips and a few covers etc. on it. They are asking $17,100 for it plus TTL etc.. The bike was bought new from them and all work and add ons were done in their shop.

My riding style is casual for want of a better term. My hero is the tortoise not the hare. I doubt I would ride over the speed limit more than 0.00173% of the time. Most of the time I'd likely be a few mph below the speed limit. I want to see the ride. That's a big part of it to me. That's much better and easier done riding casually.

So, that said, you guys with lots more FLSTC experience than I, how does that bike sound and what would be a reasonable offer on it? How does the 96 compare to the 103? With those pipes and intake and tuner am I likely to get better or worse than stock fuel mpg or be basically the same? What else should I know about or look into or be wary of? Thanks for any and all input on this.

I ride much the same way and the 96 on my RKC is plenty and then some...I run out of ***** long before I run out of throttle

Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

JMO - but the only difference I see (feel) in the 96 vs the 103 (I have owned both) is that 6th gear seems a little more "usable" with the 103. Seat of the pants only - no hard facts.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB415

NADA book values are as follows: Low retail: $13,985. Average retail:$17,455.
KBB retail book value for that bike is $16,200, and that's in excellent condition.
KBB trade in value was $13,750.

That being said, we all know that NADA and KBB retail values are grossly inflated for current economic conditions. I'd offer $13,750, and go from there. $17,100 is way high for the current market…but hey, they're a dealer, and it's their job to *** rape you.

As for the differences between the 96 and the 103 engine…don't concern yourself about it. With your self described riding style, a stock 96" engine is more than enough for you.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
RUThinking
Advanced

I recently traded in an 08 Ultra Classic for a 12 Road Glide Ultra. If you ride around town I doubt you will see a difference. If you tour the country the difference is night and day. There were times I simply lacked power with the 96 and as someone mentioned there was no power in 6th gear. In fact if I was fighting a strong head wind I often rode in 5th gear. I also had to downshift when riding hills. I expect that some of the time, there were times though the grade was minor. The issue was the distance of the increased grade.

The 103 on the other hand... Just completed a trip to Sturgis, never felt like I had a lack of power, including when I was in 6th gear. Shoot I passed people in 6th gear, something I would have never considered with the 96.

At this time my 103 is stock, I had completed stage 1 on the 96. I'll also throw in I am getting noticeably better mileage. Some of that is due to the difference in the fairings.

Last edited by RUThinking; 08-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My experience with softails. I owned a 2000 Fatboy. Removable bags, road king windshield, solo seat. Rode the bike long distance (8 hours to destination). Loved that bike. I finally ended up with my Ultra with a 103CI. I just think back to my FLSTF....and IF it had a 103.
Heck....I wish I had the Fatboy back in the state I sold it! A 103 would have been sweet.

Chuck

Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 PM
omaho5
Road Master

I just bought a 2012 FLHR with anti lock, security, and speed control...BLACK.
Out the door for $16,900.00 . The best any other dealer would do was $18,400.
This company is trying to hose you.
The 103 is a nice engine and takes 6th nicely at 55MPH

Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

17 grant with 15k miles??? ...too much money, i paid 15 grant with only 2k miles and they gave me a $1,000 dollar gift card!!

Quick Reply: 96 vs. 103 engines??