General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling lucky?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 648 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Are you stoned or something?
oh yeah i'm definitely stoned -

Originally Posted by OkieNiteTrain
You have a problem with the gremlin bell or the new colors on some 2013s??
yeah i'm older'n fuggin methuselah so i don't blame the youngsters for not knowing. this is from an older post of mine on the subject of green bikes:

"It's real, take my word fer' it. When I started riding in the early 70's, I learned how to survive by hanging around and following the wisdom of the old geezers that had avoided the grim reaper by listening to the oldtimers before 'em. Their input, superstition, call it what you want, was no green bikes - green would get you snuffed right out. The rebel with a green bike was a pariah, who would get you busted, t-boned, rammed, flattened, stranded, or infected with cooties if he tagged along. I remember a famous article on a green chopper in Easyriders circa '72 or so, and the bike had a flat and narrowly missed a landslide during the photo shoot. Geegads, ain't you got enough trouble dodging little old ladies, stoner teenage gangbangers, livestock, potholes, avalanches, etc without exacerbating the issue? If yer' gonna' do it, do it whole hog and paint 'er bright metal flake chartreuse - kinda' like the last act of defiance. "

looks like the moco is into defiance - as if 13 aint bad enough lol ya'll crack me up; i luv this forum; peace....

Last edited by panheadache; 08-22-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,507 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Maybe it is Harley's attempt to attract more interest from a different audience? Are they marketing these in San Fransisco or something? Sparkle Gold or Green on a motorcycle is about as anti-harley an image that most people would conjure up when seeing it.
I guess you didn't see how some people were painting their bikes in the late 1960's and 1970's. I also remember seeing seats that were done in Naugahyde that looked just like those new harley colors.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
I guess you didn't see how some people were painting their bikes in the late 1960's and 1970's. I also remember seeing seats that were done in Naugahyde that looked just like those new harley colors.

In the 60's and 70's, they also used to wear bell-bottom pants and women had beehive hairdoos. But try selling that style today. I have trouble believing these color schemes are going to get much in the way of interest from the public at large. Perhaps they are going for nostalgia? I don't know. To me, it just screams yuk. It's all subjective, however.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,507 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
In the 60's and 70's, they also used to wear bell-bottom pants and women had beehive hairdoos. But try selling that style today. I have trouble believing these color schemes are going to get much in the way of interest from the public at large. Perhaps they are going for nostalgia? I don't know. To me, it just screams yuk. It's all subjective, however.
I take your point on the fashions. (but I think the beehives were gone by the '70's) And you're right about subjective. The funny thing is, I like looking at the metal flake paint jobs, but I have no interest in owning one.

Crazy

Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Metal flake has been steadily coming back for a few years now. Lots of helmets available in metal flake. It's always been part of the chopper culture. 48's have had metal flake tanks for 2 years now. Looks good on Sporties. Big twins don't carry it as well IMO. Maybe it's a proportion thing.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Harely is going for a younger demographic. The heavy metal flake think is big with the younger Rat Rod guys who build their own Bobbers in the 60s fashion.
I go to a lot of Rat Rod shows and that look is really taking off with that younger group.
Helmets with that type of finish is really catching on too!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

It's okay. Because under that green metalflake paint is grey primer, so it's really a grey bike...

Wait...isn't red the unlucky color for vehicles???

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 08-23-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weren't all the early Kawasaki crotch rockets green?

Got to agree with the metal flake on the new paint. Can't freaking stand it! Looks like something an 11 or 12 year old would want.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickd
Weren't all the early Kawasaki crotch rockets green?
Still is the Kawasaki trademark color.

Got to agree with the metal flake on the new paint. Can't freaking stand it! Looks like something an 11 or 12 year old would want.
Kinda like flames, huh?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown

Kinda like flames, huh?

too funny

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feeling lucky?