General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long should a battery last??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

I'm not willing to pay the cost when a battery finally dies trying to find how long it will last. So, for me all vehicle batteries get replaced after 3 years.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:01 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder how many batteries the Stealerships sell because of a simple ground fault. Seems to me the moco went out of their way to ground my 2012 Sporty in the dirtiest, hardest to reach place on the machine. My battery is 3.5 years old. On two occasions I have gotten intermittent low voltage trouble codes, most recently last month at 1:00 AM on my way home from my favorite brew pub.

Pulled the battery both times, charged and load tested it, load test was Good. Cleaned and lubricated both ends of the terminal connections with di-electric lub, re-installed (cursing the engineer that put that ground wire connection in such a tight, dirty place) good to go. This time I installed an auxilliary ground wire that is easier to service and check , and secured to a cleaner attachment point on the bike, so that if it happens on a dark lonely road late at night (like last time) it will be easier to check.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:50 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

The one on my Dyna was about 7 years...sold it with the bike.

I live in New England, harsh winters, unheated garage, and about once every 6 or so weeks I'll put the old fashioned trickle charger on the battery for 1 weekend.

Bought my Shovel with one in not so great shape, so dunno...quickly replaced with a "Big Crank" by Deka/East Penn.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:09 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ss313
The average lifespan of any automotive type battery is 5 years...
For decades I've generally followed this rule for bikes and cages: change battery at ~5 years. I'm sure I've wasted some battery life, but IMO that's acceptable compared to the annoyance of a dead battery. The one or two times the battery died sooner were in a cage. I generally keep my bike on a tender.

Last edited by PPBART; 04-21-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:48 PM
macafly
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the battery on my '03 Deuce last weekend and the one I took out was from 2007. Still worked fine, but no desire to get stuck with a dead battery. I know you can bump start an EFI Twink with a big assed hill, but you still need the fuel pump to kick in. Doesn't make sense to wait for a problem.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Not as long as this thread is old!

Mine lasted less than two years and it started dragging. Now, when I know I'm not riding the next day, I hook it up to my tender.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 PM
stuckinnj
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

06 Road King purchased Nov '05, 35k miles on the clock. Changing out batt next week just because. Use a 1amp float changer every winter. AGM batteries tend to last longer and recover quicker then the old traditional flooded battery. They also do not sulfate as quickly. 10+ years - I think the MOCO provided plenty of value for my dollar with the battery. Just saying.......

Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 PM
69thumper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've always used a battery tender on all my bikes, seem to get at least 6-7 years out of a quality battery.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:59 PM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

Have about 8-9 years on my truck (optima yellow top) and goin on 6 or 7 on the cycle, it's an odyssey. Anyone that says deep cycles arnt worth the extra $$ have not tried one. The odyssey was only $20 more than the standard batt, to me that's a no brainer

Old 04-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

The reason most people get 6 months to 2 years out of a battery is from lack of knowledge.
Most over the counter batteries are just bought and installed and this is the surest way to minimize a battery's life. Usually a battery is pulled from the carton and either the dealer or you adds the acid and distilled water. At this point the battery has close to full voltage but about 70 percent of its rated current capacity. You MUST NOT install it and ride off, doing so will guarantee a shortened battery lifespan. Once the chemicals have been added you must slowly bring the battery up to full current capacity by charging it with nothing greater than 10 percent of the battery's capacity. Meaning a 10 amp battery should be charged with a charger that cannot deliver anything greater than 1 amp, or 10 amps for a 100 amp battery etc. At least 8 hours should pass on a charger this way. This gently brings the battery up to snuff without overheating the plates or chemicals.
Doing it this way should give you at least 5 years of trouble free life, and this only applies to a batteries first or initial charge. A proper battery house will prepare a battery for you in this manner if you call in advance and let them know a day before picking it up. Initial high current charging, or just buying and installing a battery and riding away is the guaranteed way to premature failure.

Last edited by Ride my Seesaw; 04-25-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: How long should a battery last??