General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm going off for no reason.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm going off for no reason.

I've got a problem with my '07 FXDC alarm system: I park the bike, it chirps twice to signal that the alarm system is active and I leave it. Then, maybe between 2 and 5 minutes, it gives the "warning" chirp as if somebody moved the bike, does this two more times and then the alarm goes off, the siren blares for the usual time and then goes silent again. Then the cycle repeats: three chirps and alarm going off and so on, until I get near the bike with the FOB. At this point the alarm again gives the two chirps of "alarm active" and behaves normally.
What could it be?
The FOB battery is not an issue, as the alarm arms and disarms flawlessly (and the FOB battery is new)

Last edited by 99octane; 09-03-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

A ghost who likes harleys?

Maybe a bad battery in your remote?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I've got an 88 bike I don't bother with the alarm they're more trouble than they're worth, I've seen at least 2 people have them go off and then can't turn them off, at least with the earlier alarms you've got the choice, unlike the later bikes where as I recall they're automatic as you walk away from the bike.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds more like a dodgy contact or maybe the built-in battery of the sirene going bad. H-D alarms do not normally go bad as often as Magna seem to experience.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by magna
I've got an 88 bike I don't bother with the alarm they're more trouble than they're worth, I've seen at least 2 people have them go off and then can't turn them off, at least with the earlier alarms you've got the choice, unlike the later bikes where as I recall they're automatic as you walk away from the bike.
I understand your point of view, but it is hardly helpful: if I wanted to just deactivate the alarm system I'd have already done it.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
Sounds more like a dodgy contact or maybe the built-in battery of the sirene going bad. H-D alarms do not normally go bad as often as Magna seem to experience.
Yes, the internal battery came to my mind too. For what I know is a reachargeable 9 volt battery. I never changed it, and it's 5 years old (5 years in hot and cold climate).
Maybe I should try and change it, and see if it solves my problem.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by 99octane
Yes, the internal battery came to my mind too. For what I know is a reachargeable 9 volt battery. I never changed it, and it's 5 years old (5 years in hot and cold climate).
Maybe I should try and change it, and see if it solves my problem.
i don't believe it will. and just for the record, that rechargeable 9 volt looking battery will run you about $15 at the dealer.

the siren is nothing more than an audible indicator. it has nothing to do with the alarm going off or not. i suppose it could be possible that a malfunction in the siren could occur, but i would think then it would either be going off or not. are your lights going off as well? something is causing your alarm to think it's being moved.

when you get it figured out, how about an update, i'm curious to what it could be.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

According to the shop manual, any NiMH 9 V battery will do. I have a couple I don't use.
But I think you are correct, unless the siren has some kind of feedback to the alarm. Which I don't believe it has. It could well be a malfunction of the bank sensor... If I manage to shed some light on this mistery, I'll let you know.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Jenady
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened on mine. The connection to the security system antenna was loose.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i don't believe it will. and just for the record, that rechargeable 9 volt looking battery will run you about $15 at the dealer.

the siren is nothing more than an audible indicator. it has nothing to do with the alarm going off or not. i suppose it could be possible that a malfunction in the siren could occur, but i would think then it would either be going off or not. are your lights going off as well? something is causing your alarm to think it's being moved.

when you get it figured out, how about an update, i'm curious to what it could be.
Like I said a dodgy connection would be the first to check but on my car (volvo) the alarm does go off when the siren battery goes bad. It's the tamper proof sensor thinking it is being disconnected. Hence I thought the HD might work in a similar fashion.

Quick Reply: Alarm going off for no reason.