General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MHHD DROPPED MY FLHTP - What Should I Do???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Jay Busse
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MHHD DROPPED MY FLHTP - What Should I Do???

I sent my '90 FLHTP to my local dealer to have my 'low speed wobble' checked out and new white walls put on. They called and told me their hoist had collapsed and the bike fell off from about 4 feet up. The luggage box (aftermarket tourpack), guards, fairing, crashbar, front fender, and I'm sure, more is damaged.

They gave me a rental for the weekend and they want it back Tuesday (which isn't a problem for me). But I'm wondering what I should look out for, since it essentially fell from 4 feet up and virtually landed upside down and rested on it's left side. This is MY BABY and EVERYTHING WORKED when it went in!

Needless to say, I'm NOT HAPPY , but I went there and was as polite as I could be. I tried to be understanding as possible since I realize accidents happen, however I HAVE NEVER DROPPED THIS BIKE,. and I don't want to be taken advantage of so I'm asking for some input on how I should approach this issue. I don't want engine problems to arise from this and who knows what else?

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you and if so what remedy did you seek? ANY help on this would be ABSOLUTELY APPRECIATED, Thanks, Jay.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sucks man.

My first piece of advice is tell them to go pound sand with regards to having their rental back by Tuesday. They can have that back when your bike is good as new.

Do service departments do some sort of vehicle condition report when they take your bike in? If so, I see this as being very simple...everything wrong with the bike not listed on that report is on them. Make it right.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM
tr8785
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You deserve a rental bike until they fix every damn thing on your bike, if they can't fix it all, you deserve the value of the bike in cash minimum.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,876 Likes on 8,236 Posts

Probably no engine problems ! But I'd make them fix the cosmedic damage!!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Jay Busse
1st Gear

Thanks, Toast:-)

Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always ask for a condition report before turning anything in to service centers.
Your case is pretty extreme, but if you do not ask for a report, and something gets screwed when you bike exits the dealership, they can always says it was there before.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep notes of everything said and who said it when, how and in front of. I am a big fan of taping important conversations. Take pictures. Demand that your bike be fixed right and if you need one to ride . Have them furnish it.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM
logdon17
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to hear that happened, however make sure to not take it easy on the shop. If they damaged your bike, they are responsible for getting it fixed.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Jay Busse
1st Gear
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,299 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Would this be a proper time to bring your insurance company into the talks? Maybe the dealership would take the repairs seriously.

Quick Reply: MHHD DROPPED MY FLHTP - What Should I Do???