General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitbull -VS- J&S Motorcycle Lift.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Not saying that Pitbull wouldn't have done the same, but my vote goes to J&S. They were extremly friendly when I ordered their jack and extremly friendly when I had a problem with the hydraulic jack. Jack started leaking, called them on Friday afternoon and my new jack arrived in NC the following Wednesday, it was painless and pleasant.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

bumper72, based on all (2) of your posts, I'm assuming you work for Pitbull?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Thumbs up

I bought a used J&S because I have a softail deluxe. I dont have to drive my bike on boards. I'm able to get the jack under my bike without the boards or sitting on the bike to stand it up. Works great!

Originally Posted by 10ring
I have a Softail Deluxe. It has a clearance problem with the J&S lift, which I solved by taking a couple of 2 x 12s and cut them to 14"s long. Then they were beveled across the width on one end at about 30° from horizontal. A third piece is just a 2 x 6 cut into a square, with no bevel.
One board is placed under the front of each wheel with the bevel forming a ramp. Just roll the bike up onto the the boards and place the square under the kickstand. This should give enough additional height to allow the lift to roll under the frame.
Additionally, I did discover that the J&S will not fit well under a Softail frame. The front rail is either too far forward and in contact with the front curve of the frame, or the rear rail is in contact with the rear shocks and pressing against the shock bodies to lift and support the bike. It turns out that Harley sells some rubber-like "rail spacers" that will add enough thickness at the bottom of the frame rails to allow the lift to be placed behind the frame curve, yet still not contact the shock bodies.
I have no problems using the lift with touring models.

Last edited by jc15025; 01-07-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 AM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Is that the end of this thread?? WTH!

Originally Posted by jc15025
I bought a used J&S because I have a softail deluxe. I dont have to drive my bike on boards. I able to get the jack under my bike without the boards or sitting on the bike to stand it up. Works great!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Can't we all get along...you know that the "real" difference is between these two m/c jacks???

1. Color (black/red vs. black/silver)
2. Bottle jack warranty (1yr vs. 2yr)
3. Cost ($19.05 difference between the two)
4. Owner's ego (i.e. my jack's better than yours)

Honestly, "all" bike jacks do the job so, no matter what you prefer & can afford, be happy with the one you want/own...JMO.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Pappy 05 Heritage
I have the J&S jack and when my Heritage Classic is on it, I noticed the the lift arm of the jack is against my shocks, whick makes me very nervous. I called the company and explain my concern and they assure me the jack would not hurt my shocks. Any other Heritage guys notice this and have a problem with it?? I like the jack but it does make me nervous.
Quote by Jimmers1817: I have the J&S and use it on both my Heritage and the wife's Deluxe. I use the pads that J&S supplied. They're 1/2"x 2"x4". They go under the frame rails on either side of the bike to keep the shock off the jack. Any piece of rubber,plastic or wood would work.

J&S said they were'nt needed and no damage would occur to the shocks w/o them but I feel better using them.

If you order the jack ask for the pads. They're free.

The jack is as stable as a rock which was my primary reason for getting it. No straps are needed.

One tip for placing the pads. Since the bike is tilted you can't get the pad under the rail on the jiffy stand side w/o raising that side about 1/4 inch. I put a piece of plywood under the jiffy stand which raises that side of the bike enough to slide the pad into place.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
It will not harm the shocks. When I purchase the pitbull I got the Dyna version for my Softails. The wider arms clear the shocks totally. I tried Harleys rubber spacers but they are just a PITA. It's hard to get the lift under a heritage or deluxe with the spacers.
Anybody else using the Dyna version of the Pitbull for their softail without using the pads? I'm ordering soon, have a 2012 Fat Boy and would prefer not to have to use the pads to clear the shocks.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 523 Likes on 271 Posts

I've noticed the 1 3/4" rubber strips that line the lift tables wear out pretty fast in a short time with only normal use, that and the foot pump pad needs a real rubber break pedal cover for better gripping surface.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 AM
tgs989
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys for the info on the Pitbull & J&S lifts. Im going to buy one soon.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:18 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 977 Likes on 466 Posts

My indie has his shop in the Pitbull 'factory'. He uses their jack. I've climbed up on one while it was jacked up to get something from the bag on my handlebars because I knew the bike wouldn't fall, that's how much I trust their lifts. Their 'factory' is just a big room in the back of the building for welding and painting and putting the lift together. At any one time there's no more than three guys working in that room. This is a true working mans company and if I had a concrete floor I'd have a Pitbull lift in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Pitbull -VS- J&S Motorcycle Lift.